PDA

View Full Version : sway bar upgrade worth it????

nasty72nova
12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Hey guys Im new to the forum and just starting to touch on the pro-touring thing. I have a fairly stock suspension 72 nova with a healthy small block and a 4 spd stick trans. 2 in drop spindles and 2 in blocks for now. The car rolls on 18 inch wheels and im currently installing my kore3 13" brake kit. Im looking into the hotchkis front and rear sway bar kit $580. The car is primarily used on the street but I drive pretty hard. Will I notice major differnce going from stock front sway bar and no rear to hotchkis front and rear??? I have plans for tubular control arms later but its not in the budget right now. So this is my first mod

Rod
12-01-2013, 07:41 PM
In my opinion, sway bars are one of the biggest suspension upgrades you can do(next to tires), it will make a huge change to the car, I'm sure those with more knowledge than me will chime in

79-TA
12-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Hey guys Im new to the forum and just starting to touch on the pro-touring thing. I have a fairly stock suspension 72 nova with a healthy small block and a 4 spd stick trans. 2 in drop spindles and 2 in blocks for now. The car rolls on 18 inch wheels and im currently installing my kore3 13" brake kit. Im looking into the hotchkis front and rear sway bar kit $580. The car is primarily used on the street but I drive pretty hard. Will I notice major differnce going from stock front sway bar and no rear to hotchkis front and rear??? I have plans for tubular control arms later but its not in the budget right now. So this is my first mod

Anti-roll bars should make a noticeable difference on your car. Even if your car is on stiffer lowering springs, the wheel rate is still pretty soft thanks to a motion ratio that isn't so great. I think going from no bar to any kind of bar in the rear will make the biggest difference. Anti-roll bars are a good fix for our relatively softly sprung cars.

Since an anti-roll bar just ties the two sides of the suspension together, the car will ride a little rougher over bumps. Hopefully you have some way to gauge whether or not the car is actually sitting flatter while cornering after the installation (be safe!)

nasty72nova
12-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Hopefully it makes a difference!!!

Ron Sutton
12-02-2013, 10:06 AM
In my opinion, sway bars are one of the biggest suspension upgrades you can do(next to tires), it will make a huge change to the car

Agreed.

harleygolf1
12-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I put a DSE sway bar on the front of my 70 nova with their 2" drop springs and it made a dramatic difference!!

nasty72nova
12-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Do you guys think it's necessary to have a rear sway bar on the street? Will it make the car much better? I have a custom made panhard bar that I just finished. I worried about clearances with that. So if it doesn't make a huge difference I may skip it...any opinions??