PDA

View Full Version : Slight Turbo Overkill??!!

venomouscamaro
09-08-2004, 02:05 PM
I was stumblin around the net and came across this 57 Chevy equipped with an LS1 and 8 TURBOCHARGERS!!!! He is making 750 hp but geez man 8 of em??!!! I respect the fabrication and work that must have gone into that but it seems on the ridiculus side. Maybe I am missing the possible advantage of 8 but I would think one or two would still do the job just fine. Just imagine the money and extra weight of 6 to 7 extra turbos....

http://www.lateral-g.net/sandlin/

rumblee
09-08-2004, 02:26 PM
yeah, its definitely overkill.... its just a way of saying "hey i have tons of money so i will build something different whether its a good idea or not." I say, " a **** hat is different but would you wear it?"

YoungGun
09-08-2004, 03:32 PM
I personally take offense to those comments. Alot of people on this site know the man who built this car, and he is far from a person who throws around money. The car as a whole is incredible and took a lot of time and devotion from him and Imagine Motorsports. I just think you should be careful who you insult. He has many other cars I am sure you have seen. I personally know he does alot of good with that money too.
He wanted something different and got it, it is a beautiful car.
I am a long time viewer and rarely post, but this one I had too, please watch any comments. Opinions are overkill but dont insult a man you dont know.
Tim

XcYZ
09-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Tim, I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

68RallySport
09-08-2004, 03:53 PM
I mean u obviously havnt seen the video of the automatic hood rising!!! :icon996: that thing is down right :cool: !!!
Why not 8 turbos :dunno: maybe because its too much for you, or because u didnt think of it yourself?
David

camcojb
09-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Yes, the owner of that car is a great guy. And he does know performance. He enjoys the show car arena with some of his cars and to be competitive you need to be unique. I mean a 57 Chevy has been done nearly any way you can imagine. Well he just came up with a new one!

Jody

rumblee
09-08-2004, 04:19 PM
I sincerely apologize. The car is obviously a work of art with much time and effort put forth. My roommate and I were discussing it earlier and just couldnt understand it from a technical perspective. It does get attention, and it the turbo setup was packaged very nicely, but as far as performance goes I dont see any advantage over a TT setup. I am sorry about the earlier remark as it was my roommate. He will be dealt with.

YoungGun
09-08-2004, 04:28 PM
I did not intend to insult back, I think we all gained respect when you apologized as you did. I think if you spend some more time at Lateral-g.net and read some of the posts and see some of his other cars and his own posts you might get a feel for everything. The man and the car. It has been winning awards and been on TV, it did what no one else did and thats amazing enough.
Thanks Scott....been a while since I talked to you, bet you dont remember, used to email back and forth when your car was just getting going. The teenage kid from CT?

Thanks
Tim

XcYZ
09-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Tim, I do remember you. :) It's been a looooong time, though.

The owner of the Inciner8or knows performance, but that's not what the 8 turbos are all about. As Jody pointed out, it was done to be over the top, be unique, do something that has never been done before. I've had the honor to actually drive the Inciner8or (as well as the HRSS454 with the DEI built C5-R 454), and it drives great, you'd NEVER know what's under the hood.

Did you know he owns a 7 second car?

rumblee
09-08-2004, 05:10 PM
How does the exhaust route after it disappears through the firewall?? Anyone have a dyno graph? With all those small turbos i would suspect it would build boost quickly and make for a nice linear increase in hp with a good tq curve..

nancejd
09-08-2004, 05:27 PM
I got to see the car in person last Friday. Man that is one sweet ride. Pictures just do not do it justice. The attention to detail, and all the little touches are incredible. Not every car is built to be a pro-touring car. I just wish I could have gotten a ride in it!

XcYZ
09-08-2004, 05:54 PM
There are so many details, where do you start. lol It has a turbo oil pump that primes the turbos before start up. The pump also runs on a thermostat that keeps the pump running after you turn off the car to cool the turbos so you don't have to sit there and let the car idle to cool them down.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

It's also riding on a full tube chassis. It's a very trick setup that uses all Vette suspension parts. That's just the start!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/grcompletechassis2-1.jpg

zbugger
09-08-2004, 07:47 PM
I hope to see the insanity in Vegas. I drool over the pictures. I hope I don't dent it seeing it in person.....

nancejd
09-08-2004, 07:52 PM
You'll just have to look back over your shoulder to prevent that Allen! :machine:

CAMAROBOY69
09-09-2004, 07:29 AM
This car is just an incredible combination of talent, commitment, art, and just friggin amazing! period! :seizure:

awr68
09-09-2004, 09:34 AM
I love the car but I'm a little confused...did the current owner Steve S. buy Mike G's car? Am I correct??

F70t/a
09-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Is tere any exhaust pics? I would love to see how it was done :rolleyes5

XcYZ
09-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Anthony, you're right. Steve started with Graham's car.

As for the exhaust plumbing, the exhaust manifolds feed the oval shaped rack that you see the turbos mounted to. That rack is actaully a common plenum for the exhaust from the motor. Each of the eight turbine inlets tap into the rack. The turbine outlets exhaust through a set of custom headers that were Jet coated.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif