PDA

View Full Version : '71 GMC longbox track day video

bovey
11-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Hello all,

Finally finished a video I shot while doing a track day this summer. Still working at making my videos better. Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/79890973

Race those trucks.
Bovey

1truckguy78
11-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Great video!

protouring70
11-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Yea pretty cool

chevelletiger
11-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Nice bovey!i like how you passes that little blue car.

RobNoLimit
11-21-2013, 09:36 AM
that's cool. It looks like the surface is pretty sticky, it also looks like you could get in trouble in a hurry. :)

bovey
11-21-2013, 02:26 PM
You are correct. At the time I did this the track was narrow and very high speed - it was also a super wet day. BTW - DDT stands for Driver Development Track. There are two tracks at this location, the large track is a world famous track originally named Mosport. This DDT track is now gone and is being replaced by a full 42' wide FIA track that is double the size. We get to try it next year when finished. But yes, I was at the limit of my talent and suspension on this day - and being careful so I did not end up with a ball of tinfoil by days end. So. fun.

SS PUNISHER
11-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Nice vid! Looks like that was a blast!

snopro
11-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Hey bovey thats awesome you are at Mosport, Imlooking forward to having my projects out on the new track once its finished, what club do you run with?

bovey
11-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Hey bovey thats awesome you are at Mosport, Imlooking forward to having my projects out on the new track once its finished, what club do you run with?

Yeah. The new track looks awesome. Much bigger, much wider. I'm a member and now a volunteer for the SPDA, which oddly is a Subaru club. And yes, I'm the only GMC truck... They are a great group of people, run great events and were very, very open to me showing up with a 70s GM truck. There are many clubs in the GTA area, I'll more than likely support a few clubs next year as the memberships count towards entry fees and the groups around here all run good events. You have to come see and run in a Pro Solo event, crazy fun. A short head to head autocross with a drag tree start. FUN.

Also, there is a open house in April where all the clubs show up and you can sign up for a great 2 day autocross school. I think it's going to be a JRP again.

snopro
11-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah there seems to be quite a few clubs to choose from, im just trying to figure out which ones are open to more modified vehicles like my truck will be, some clubs say they have to have stock floors/firewall and frame. Thanks for the info and the heads up on the open house

bovey
11-24-2013, 04:59 PM
The groups I run with are open to experimental stuff, the guy that runs the SPDA built a Subrau Legacy in the spirit of Smokey Yunick - stretched fenders, etc, etc - you'd never see it coming. There are even purpose build from the ground up cars. The only thing I would reco as you are a V8 guy like me - run mufflers - as most of the spaces they run in the GTA have noise restrictions - most of the people you will be running against will have turbos to keep them quiet...

snopro
11-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Great thanks bovey, I hope we will get a chance to get our trucks out on the track together sometime and you can show me how to drive. :)

bovey
11-24-2013, 07:09 PM
lol. Trust me - I'm just learning to drive. Here is one of my "learning" moments...

https://vimeo.com/80114849

Password: Whoops

When you get your truck done - which is totally freaking awesome. Do some schools - there are loads to choose from around here.

snopro
11-25-2013, 06:19 PM
haha thats awesome, putting her into the ragweeds lol I will be there right beside you. I appreciate the speedhunters shirt too haha

snopro
12-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Bovey are you still using the stock 10 bolt rear-end, and what wheels are you running, im having a hard time finding wheels with a 5x127 bolt pattern and ideally over 10 inches wide preferably 12" any suggestions?

Chris

bovey
12-02-2013, 07:51 PM
67-72 come with a 12 bolt - it's a series 4 which makes it a pain in the ass.

Before I can answer your question about wheels - 3 things first.

1) diameter? 15s? 18s? 19?
2) How much do you want to spend?
3) Do you know your current back spacing?

And 1 other thing, this might be worth starting a new thread for so others can join in.

snopro
12-04-2013, 08:35 AM
so are you still running 6 bolt axles then?
And I may have came up with a solution, corvette zr1 wheels with a spacer/adapter. But first I have to reinstall front control arms and rear-end to double check backspacing. I just want a flush look and a wide ass tire lol

bovey
12-04-2013, 05:56 PM
so are you still running 6 bolt axles then?

Nope. 71-72 C10 and 1500s were 5 on 5. They also came with really big front disc brakes, for factory anyway. Actually, the fronts work so well, I doubt I'll bother upgrading them as they hold their own very well up against the Wilwood 12.19s I running on the rear.

Can you tell me a bit more about your ZR1 wheels? there is a great company in cambridge that makes killer hub centric adaptors and they'll make custom ones for any application. http://novustech.ca/