PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering?

Jim Nilsen
09-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I got to thinking and am wondering how much weight a complete AC package adds to a car. With all of the hoses,evaporator,brackets,pump ,condenser extra duct work and such how much does it all weigh. I keep guessing somewhere around 45 to 50lbs. But is it more in some cars and less in other depending on the heating units and controls and how much is that difference. It could be more with some of the older units and with a Vintage Air unit it might be less . I would really like to know the difference so if you have exact figures let me know. I am not looking for a guess, real figures are what I am looking for.

Jim Nilsen

indyjps
09-10-2005, 11:58 PM
im in the process of pulling the factory air off my 69 camaro. when i get it all off i could weigh the pieces. if you want a fairly accurate estimate of an aftermarket system, call vintage air and ask how much the weight of their system for shipping then subtract a little for box/packaging.

73z-6sp
09-11-2005, 03:57 AM
I recently shipped all of the A/C items from my car. I think it was 125+ pounds! The compressor alone was 60! Definitely not "lite" stuff!

Jim Nilsen
09-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I was thinking of calling them but it's not that important I couldn't wait for a reply.

That's a lot of weight but that is what I was thinking it could all go up to. I think some compressors weigh a lot less than others but how well do they work?

Yes i am very interested Indyjps. I have an idea the factory stuff will be more in weight.

I keep thinking about the whole a/c thing and still don't like the weight and the rear Vintage Air kit will weigh even more than a standard kit I believe.

I also have a few other ideas that I just can't stop thinking about but for now I need to just get the car done. :hmm: :doh:
Jim Nilsen

USAZR1
09-13-2005, 12:00 PM
I recently shipped all of the A/C items from my car. I think it was 125+ pounds! The compressor alone was 60! Definitely not "lite" stuff!

60lbs for an a/c compressor? No way.
My complete Vintage Air system came in two boxes and was probably around 30lbs,total.

10Seconds
10-06-2005, 05:57 PM
The stock log looking compressor (fridgadare mfg I think), is very heavy. I think on my TA the stock A/C stuff weighed about 100lbs. I went with a Hot Rod Air system on the rebuild, mainly because I wanted to clean up the firewall, and Hot Rod Air was the only one of these AC companies that would modify the stock controls to use on the new system.