PDA

View Full Version : 69 Firebird Project

GNORRIS166
11-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Hey Guys,

Well here it goes…..The start to a new project. This is a pretty good foundation for my plans with this 1969 Firebird. This is around a ten year old restoration. The body is solid no rust..all metal. I updated the engine this past spring and also put SSBC disc brakes on the front. The engine is a 463 cu in w/eagle rotating assembly/mahle pistons with turbo 400 trans. The engine and trans are coming out going with Ls1/T56. Even bigger brakes, suspension upgrades, paint, wheels/tires and interior in the works. I am going to be able to get a good start in the next two months of stripping and disassembly. Any pointers, ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am steering away from original restorations and haven't had much experience with pro-touring style.. Although, I am excited and think this will be awesome project. I will be looking for suspension parts. control arms, coil overs, wheels, etc., and interior components. I think I have found a donor engine and trans 2001 Camaro thats salvaged from reared collision for nearly nothing with 56k miles. My engine is up for sale I have all the spec sheets and receipts I will entertain offers. It will be a month or so before the engine comes out. Thanks Everyone!

GNORRIS166
11-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Correction the Salvage Camaro I found is a 2002!

Roger Poirier
11-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Man oh man.... You are starting out with AAA condition car. Do your homework as far as the build is concerned. Ultimately you end up with a far better result. Good luck.

Dantigan
11-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Its nice to see another '69 Firebird get the modernizing treatment. Stock vehicles are ok for some, but nothing better than doin some upgrades. I have found the biggest help to be to just dive in. Each obstacle I tackle I am a little leary on making permanent modifications, but once I get started I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Feel free to check out my build

SparkyRnD
11-13-2013, 06:15 AM
looks like a cool build. Are you going to attend any of the ASCS events next year with the car?

GNORRIS166
11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys! I think I will try to attend one or two ASCS events..Pigeon Forge Run to the hills and maybe another. I have made little progress last night. I pulled the grill,headlight assemblies and lower valance. This weekend I will add another photo or two of the disassembly progress. Im taking my time categorizing and labeling everything I take off at this point.

SparkyRnD
11-13-2013, 11:44 AM
take a look at the DSE Southern Slam in April at Carolina Motorsports Park, its a great event as well.

GNORRIS166
11-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Here is a little update from my progress this weekend. I pulled the valance,grill piece also the electric fan and the hood latch. I haven't found issues with anything so far. There is a little surface rust on some things but nothing major. I found that all of the bolts were easy to remove. Still plugging along!

rickpaw
11-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Looks like you have a clean car to start. My suggestion is do the motor/tranny swap/suspension first, and leave the body alone. That way you can enjoy the car sooner.

GNORRIS166
11-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Here is another picture to go along with the progress!

1965gp
11-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Take your time to make sure you keep all the hardware together for the front end sheet metal/fiberglass/rubber pieces. This is one of the hardest front ends to put back together- too many pieces! Took me a few hours to get it together and lined up.