PDA

View Full Version : Priming the engine

redsand
09-03-2005, 09:56 AM
If I turn over the engine, should the oil pump rod rotate? I manually primed the motor with a drill to get the oil to the lifters all was great.

I kept the dist out and started to turn the motor over. No oil. Had the wife look at the oil pump rod (Down the distributor hole to see if it rotated when I started it over. Nothing. Is this correct? Or is something else wrong?

Camaro_Dan
09-03-2005, 10:20 AM
no the camshaft drives the distributor that drives the oilpump.

paul67
09-04-2005, 01:47 AM
You need to fit the dissy back in to drive the pump
paul67

redsand
09-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Not sure what dissy means. The pump rod is in place and the dist is fully seated on the block. When I rotate the motor, the dist rotates(Which I guess just means the cam and dist gears are meshing)

Maybe I am expecting too much when I was manually priming the motor with a drill, the oil gushed out at a high rpm. Maybe I will wipe off a rocker and see if I get a little drip at low (Starting) RPM's. I am just really paranoid as well as a newbie to starting a motor.

Thanks for all of the input!!!

myclone
09-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Not sure what dissy means. The pump rod is in place and the dist is fully seated on the block. When I rotate the motor, the dist rotates(Which I guess just means the cam and dist gears are meshing)

Maybe I am expecting too much when I was manually priming the motor with a drill, the oil gushed out at a high rpm. Maybe I will wipe off a rocker and see if I get a little drip at low (Starting) RPM's. I am just really paranoid as well as a newbie to starting a motor.

Thanks for all of the input!!!

Dissy/dizzy=distributor (dunno where the abbreviation started or how).

Youll be lucky to get a single drop of oil out of the rockers turning the engine over by hand unless your a world record power lifter and can turn it at ~500 rpm.
Remember that the cam which drives the oil pump rotates half the speed as the crank so if you spun the oil pump with a drill at 3000 rpm the pump was moving the same amount of oil it would with the engine running at 6000 rpm.

redsand
09-04-2005, 04:22 PM
When I said manually starting the motor, I meant turning the key and having the starter try and turn the motor (I have no gas or ignition connected yet)

By just turning the key would this be turning the motor over fast enough to get oil out of the lifters?

andrewb70
09-04-2005, 07:47 PM
By just turning the key would this be turning the motor over fast enough to get oil out of the lifters?

No.

Andrew

paul67
09-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Sorry dissy is the distributor, when I've turned engines over on the key only have got oil pressure light to go out does yours, if not fit 1 temp should be easy.
paul67

yody
09-05-2005, 10:48 AM
When I said manually starting the motor, I meant turning the key and having the starter try and turn the motor (I have no gas or ignition connected yet)

No, but it can wipe your cam out really fast