PDA

View Full Version : Door Skin Moving

67 caprice
10-28-2013, 02:26 AM
A friend of mine owns a 69 Camaro 99% completed. His door needed to be aligned and he just could not get it right. He asked me for some help, after looking at the door it appears that the door skin and the door frame are not pinch welded, so the door skin is moving around. Any suggestions on how to secure with out welding. Welding will require repainting. I was thinking of seam sealer but would like to here some opinions.

Kevin Campbell
10-28-2013, 06:49 AM
If the skin is in the incorrect place, when it's moved and held in the correct place, there will be a visible line where the paint didn't get originally.

It will be tricky to try and save the exterior paint, but it could be done. IMO, sealer will not hold the door in the correct position over extended periods if at all.

I would try short quick tack welds with someone holding a cold rag on the exterior of the panel and hope that the heat doesn't transfer through, then refinish the jamb.

Realistically, the doors should have been checked prior to painting, At this point, all you can do is hope to minimize the damage done trying to correct it.

dhutton
10-28-2013, 08:40 AM
I would use a little 3M 8115 panel adhesive. That should hold it without welding on it. Better grip than seam sealer.

Don

67 caprice
10-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the reply's.

mikey
10-29-2013, 10:08 AM
You're going to have to weld it the panel adhesive needs to go between the outside of the shell and the skin. I think that trying to glue it without peeling back the flange will only be a temporary fix