PDA

View Full Version : solid to IRS

waggl1
10-26-2013, 08:53 AM
So i was fooling around with some friends in their cars the other night cruising through the hills. I came across a question in my mind, how hard is it to convert a solid axle rear end to a independent rear suspension system? I have a 1974 Camaro and i was thinking about doing a swap like that, any issue's never experienced a IRS before i have touched front ends of trucks but never a car. Any information and opinions out there?

MonzaRacer
11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Two actual setups I have helped install on cars, Corvette and Ford Thunderbird/Cougar,the former has its own attributes, with minor updates and such the Ford unit can be had with a 8.8 center, and its mounting points make it easier to instal, at least to me. Also either one can be set up for coil over, air ride or use stock springs.
both are adjustable and the 8.8 really has lots of following as they are using parts that work from Mustangs. Look for 88-94 Thunderbird/Cougar, 8.8s came in super coupes and V8s, Most 6s had 7.5 version.

Schwartz Performance
11-03-2013, 05:33 AM
There would be a lot of fab required. Easiest thing to do (instead of gabbing your own control arms and such) would likely be to fin a drop out from : Mark VIII Lincoln, Mustang Cobra (03/04), or the late 80's to mid 90's Thunderbird SC and cougar XR7. Some had a 7.5" ring gear, others had 8.8.
The Lincoln and Mustang Cobras had an aluminum carrier vs the cast iron Tbird ones.

There's. Lot of Miata guys and Locost builds online that show fab on doing that.. But they're set up a little different than your 74 Camaro of course.

Otherwise Heidts makes an IRS for it if you'd rather not think so hard and spend $8k.

-Dale