PDA

View Full Version : Editorial Time- Hopefully somewhat inspiring...

SRD art
10-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Recent thoughts about the industry and where my car fits in, maybe some of you can relate...

What an opportunity it is to live the dream, more specifically to work where you get to be involved in your hobby all day, along with genuine people that love what they do and really enjoy beating on hot cars. Recently on the way home from work at Speedtech (http://www.speedtechperformance.com) it really hit me, I thought, "Wow, we talk about muscle cars all day. How cool is that."

I started out earlier this year working in the shop but my rickety 43 year old body and all my stupid ailments have been getting worse and taking it's toll- slowing me down and making it tough (and sometimes painful) to work on cars. Lucky for me Blake and the crew have been wanting a full-time guy on staff specifically for design and marketing, so now I'm at the computer all day doing my other thing- design. My desk is next to Blake and not far from Jay and Roger and I can't even describe the incredible pro touring based education I'm getting from them. At first I thought getting moved out of the shop was a curse but I now see it as a blessing.

On the not so up side, talking about, hearing about, sitting in, and being a part of some really fantastic cars has been taking it's toll on how I feel about the Pumkinator. I've loved driving the car everyday, it's been incredibly loyal (read reliable) and even gets decent gas mileage. It's an absolute blast to drive, I hit two round-abouts and a fast 90* curve everyday on the way to work and that makes for some fun pucker factor when traffic is light.

BUT, now I get to hear about parts sales not uncommon in the neighborhood of $20K on one ticket, and I get to see some killer $100K + rides roll out of the shop. I've been feeling lately, as a guy who alone supports my wife and 4 kids, there's no way I can keep up with the industry on my income. At 5:00 everyday, after seeing and hearing about high buck refined kick tail Pro Touring cars all day long, I get in my car, fart around with the ebay used auto shifter to get it into gear, listen to that slight tick of one rocker arm that I need to adjust one of these days, then drive down the road listening to factory original beat up weather strip air leaks, the rattle of the glove box and door panels, looking at the banged up dash pad, and knowing that the outside of the car is even worse. My car looks ok from 20 feet, but it's obvious that after sanding all the old bondo off and then running out of my full-time opportunity time to work on the car, the body's pretty rough up close. There's plenty of parking lot wrinkles and blemishes, I guess that's what you get when you buy a well used station wagon. The black semi-gloss sheen of the Rustoleum spray paint is shiny enough to emphasize every sheet metal imperfection in the St. George Utah sun. As I drive home I can't help thinking my car is a bit of an ugly duckling and might just win that award every time if I show up to big Pro-Touring based events. I don't come from a wealthy upbringing, so at a young teen age I learned to trade, bargain, buy used parts, and use a lot of back yard ingenuity to build fun, fast cars. Unfortunately NONE of them ever looked that nice and I never had the coin for the coolest new billet or high dollar add-ons. Just ugly ducklings that performed well while appearance took a back seat. The Pumkinator wagon has followed right along in that same build ethic.

Well, as bummed out as someone may get in this situation, I found the light tonight. I was surfing google for a good definition of "Street Fighter" for a section I'm working on in our new soon to be out Speedtech catalog. After a bit I came across this cool article hosted by Mr. Vengeance on his Street Fighter website. Ron Schwarz's thoughts on street fighters (http://www.thestreetfighters.com/2010/02/interview-with-ron-schwarz-and-his-streetfighter-66-mustang-fastback-2/) Go read it, it may change your point of view just a bit.

I realize now that the proverbial beer goggles have lowered just a bit, in a way I've taken what I have accomplished with my car for granted. During a recent work related email conversation with Jeff Smith of Car Craft mag, my car came up and he took a peek at my build thread (link in my sig below). His response was "Your wagon is cool- and lots of suspension mods." Coming from him that really sank in. Realistically it has a suspension system that should theoretically keep up with some decent higher dollar pro touring cars, but again, because I built it on a budget and utilized a bunch of used parts I've taken it for granted. The car has a killer stance, has wide wheels and half way decent tires all around. The mildly warmed over 406 SBC engine isn't going to win a dyno shootout but it has a near flat 400 ft lbs at the flywheel curve, plenty fine for a short/ nimble autocross track. And I guess even though the body is rough, well, at least it looks good at 20 feet, right? After reading Ron's words I finally felt it's all coming full circle and I realize where my budget deficient car fits in.

All in all, I took the time to post all this to give a shout out and a thanks to Mr Vengeance for hosting the Street Fighter site where it's ok to not have 20x12" Forgelines and be the Billet Specialties poster boy (not that either of those is a bad thing). Another shout out goes to a guy we can all pay respect to, Ron Schwarz. His crazy-tail ingenuity and the guts to just dig in a do what you want to is inspiring. The fact that the end result isn't a show queen, but rather focuses on doing what it was intended to, is a good thing. It sure helps me get my head out of the clouds and wake up from the comatose mind frame of thinking that I need to have a car that has all the latest and greatest parts and wins awards at car shows so I can keep up with "everyone else" around me.

Bottom line is long live Street Fighter cars. Some are pretty, some aren't. Some have some $ into them, some don't. The thing that brings them all together and breaks the cool factor scale remains in the fact that these cars get beat on, driven daily, and even get parked at Wal Mart on occasion. "Who cares if it's not perfect, let's go for a ride and you tell me if you think it's cool..." 'Nuff said. -Ben

uxojerry
10-24-2013, 09:41 PM
I think of of these cars as performance hot rod's. Some hot rod's have a little more chrome and billet parts than others. Some have all of the latest widget's. Others are built with what's available and what's affordable. There plenty of low budget hot rod's that can smoke anything in their little town or neighborhood. Widget's, chrome, and billet parts dont make a car go fast, turn corners, or stop on a dime.

Your little 406 is capable of 600hp+. You can probably get at least 500hp+ by having your heads and intake ported along with a new cam. IN the old days, people took what they had and figured out how to squeeze the most out of it. Uh Oh! Im starting to sound like my dad, lol!!

Rod
10-24-2013, 09:46 PM
:cheers: to Ron and Ben

I agree working in the industry wont make us rich but its a hell of a lot of fun!

SRD art
10-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Lol! I've felt like my dad a lot over the past few years too. Having teenagers sure makes life run a different course, right?

My now half torn down Nova is sitting in the garage with a fresh 406 in it, only about 20-25 miles on the motor since I went through it. 'Been sitting dormant now for like 4 years. It's pretty nasty old school style, 562 hp and 511 ft lbs at the flywheel and many times I've thought of what it would be like to slip that motor into the wagon. But, it's got over 12:1 compression and a pretty nasty solid cam in it. Back when I first built it in the 90s, was single and made decent money, and didn't car about gas mileage I drove it every day, taking it easy on 93 octane and 105 for the track. Not so sure I could do that now. Besides, after talking to some folks and watching a lot of youtube, I'm thinking sometimes a high horsepower motor can actually hinder a pro touring car unless the driver really knows how to keep the tires planted. I'm presuming that means staying out of full throttle, so they're really only using 300 hp instead of 600. If I floor my wagon's throttle and peak at just over 300 hp then technically I'm just as fast as them anyway, right? ;)

SRD art
10-24-2013, 09:54 PM
:cheers: to Ron and Ben

I agree working in the industry wont make us rich but its a hell of a lot of fun!

Amen Brotha!

uxojerry
10-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Your probably right! Add too much hp and you go from a pro-touring car to a drift car, lol. There was nothing more fun as a kid than to go joy riding in the neighbors BBF station wagon. It was if the car was designed at the factory to do doughnuts, lol.

Dont let that nasty 406 go to waste. Talk to Chris Straub about a new cam and I bet he can design one to bleed off a little compression and make it more street friendly.

SS PUNISHER
10-25-2013, 02:55 PM
http://www.snowperformance.net/stage-2-boost-cooler-muscle-car-n-a.html
It's a little spendy but you could run that other motor in the wagon and make it a BEAST!!! Lol

Rod
10-25-2013, 03:57 PM
its really simple for me,,,,I drive mine everyday rain or shine so I know its not perfect, its scratched from others leaning on it ROCK CHIPPED from hell by every pebble tossed at it from every track its been on from Thunderhill to Buttonwillow, had more strangers asses in the passenger seat from ride along's at Goodguys events, than most guys show cars will see in a lifetime, but when I go to even the nicest places for dinner the valets have me park right up front with Porsche's and Ferrari's, and EVERY damn time I get out of my car I look back at it and its the coolest Freakin car in that sea of Prius's, Camry and civics no matter were I am, and even today when I leave work and drive my 5 miles home I will get a few thumbs up, a couple of head nods, a smile from a random girl, its not a show car but its my car and that's just to ****ing awesome

GeoffP
10-25-2013, 04:25 PM
I feel ya Ben! Very good write up and very encouraging! If you've ever seen my car, you know it has visible rust, flat black primer, howling rear axle, a driveline vibration, etc. etc...it's not perfect by any means but I sure do enjoy it. What really put my car in perspective for me is how well it did recently at RTTH with a friend driving...18th out of 70 something cars is respectable even if I don't have the skill to drive it that fast! :)

srh3trinity
10-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Sometimes hanging out around here can give you rhe same feelings about your car as you compare them to the high dollar builds. I recently got a quote from a shop on paint and body and I was bummed for an entire week. My family's financial well being comes first and my car time is limited by my choice to spend time with my wife and son. It will be a slow process, but I want it to be more on the streetfighter side of the fence.

SRD art
11-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the thoughts fellas. Rod- you've got the right perspective, thanks for sharing!