PDA

View Full Version : coil mounting

RobM
09-02-2005, 07:17 PM
do any of you run an MSD blaster 3 coil mounted side ways? i just read that its bad to mount an oil filled coil this way and ive been running this engine for about a month now. Think the coil is toasted by now? or is this not THAT big a deal?

yody
09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
never heard that, you should contact MSD and then post back here. That is the first i've heard, and as far as I know(could be wrong) coils usually just go all the way bad, so if your car runs fine, the coil is fine

camcojb
09-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Some coils have to be mounted straight up, mostly older models. Most of the modern coils can be mounted sideways.

Jody

RobM
09-02-2005, 10:06 PM
well it says so in the msd directions wich ive just today.... :hammer: but its been running fine thus far and its at an angle pointing up so i think any air bubble in the oil bath thats keeping the coils cool would be at the top any way. i dont have room to run it any other way so im just going to keep running it like this untill it goes then ill get one of those small ones you can mount any way.

inSANe DIEGO
09-04-2005, 09:52 PM
If you have room consider a Mallory Promaster coil part # 29440 (if/when your current craps out.) Those can be run sideways if need be. I ran one for 4 years on its side and I know it can be run sideways because it was a selling point when I used to sell them in the early 90's at Super Shops.

camcojb
09-05-2005, 06:20 AM
If you have room consider a Mallory Promaster coil part # 29440 (if/when your current craps out.) Those can be run sideways if need be. I ran one for 4 years on its side and I know it can be run sideways because it was a selling point when I used to sell them in the early 90's at Super Shops.

John,

what was your employee #? I was #313, early 80's.

Jody

paul67
09-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Mine blew up spraying oil everywhere when it was mounted side ways.
paul67

chicane67
09-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Thats funny. I was a manager of the Claremont store in the early 90's. I dont recall my emp # though..... :rolleyes5

Lowend
09-05-2005, 02:29 PM
If the coil is oil filled it has to be mounted upright, otherwise the oil does not cover the coils and provide cooling.
Epoxy filled coils can be mounted in any orientation

RobM
09-05-2005, 08:44 PM
how can i test my coil to see if i already burnt it out? the motor runs fine but how can i know if im getting the max out of my coil?

inSANe DIEGO
09-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Jody,

I don't recall my emp#. I'll try to locate an old receipt (for the sake of nostalgia) from an emp purchase b4 I left. I worked at the Kearny Mesa store on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. here in S.D. My store manager was Ray (? don't remember his last name. Heard he moved to Tex. to become a ranger or border patrol) and the regional was Dan Berg at the time. I believe I was there in 90 or 91- back in the day when people still met up at Balboa and Genesee.

Super Shops is back in business again. They opened their first store in El Cajon. Word is they plan on opening a couple more and it will be franchised after that instead of a sole proprietorship like the orig chain. I asked if Harry Eberlin still had a hand in the business, but they said no. It changed ownership to two people, a lawyer and a silent partner....hmmmm.

Sorry Rob. Back to YOUR thread.

RobM
09-06-2005, 03:14 PM
its all good. i just hope my coil isnt going to cause yet another head ache

Lowend
09-06-2005, 05:03 PM
You can test your coil with an ohm meter
Attach leads to the + and - leads and you should have a reading around 1.5 - 3 ohms
if it is any different than the coil is dust.
You can check the hi-voltage circut the same way, but you need to check with the manufacturer for the proper spec

RobM
09-06-2005, 07:59 PM
thanks bud ill give that a shot