PDA

View Full Version : Please help.......I am about to give up

redsand
09-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Not sure which forum this goes in but here goes.

I have a 69 400 pontiac ys motor. I was told when I picked the motor up that is was the original flywheel. I mated it up with an 80 turbo 350 transmission. Here is my dilema.
I have purchased 2 starters. The first being a powermaster and the other being a stock starter for a 69 400.

Both are not even close to lining up with the flywheel. Looks like both need to go down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to line up with the flywheel. Which would tell me that the flywheel in there is too large.

I looked up the part number for a stock starter for a 77 400 and it is a different number.

I am completely baffled and I do not want to have to pull this thing out again.

Do I
a) Have the incorrect flywheel(Although everything bolted up correctly to the crank and torque conv)
b) Try the 77 starter to see if it is sized differently.

yody
09-02-2005, 11:13 AM
did you put the flywheel on backwards?

ACEFOOTER
09-02-2005, 11:15 AM
What are the part#'s for the starters you have?

redsand
09-02-2005, 11:31 AM
The flywheel will only fit one way.
Part numbers for the starters
1) napa = 2464800
2) powermaster 9510

Thanks

ACEFOOTER
09-02-2005, 11:34 AM
My pontiac parts guy says its the same starter up to 1979, and flywheel OD should be 13.96, do you have an earlier trans to compare the starter mounting points?

redsand
09-02-2005, 11:39 AM
The car originally came with a 301 non turbo... long gone. I was told at napa that the 69 starter is different part number than the 77 for a 400.

I am going to check the od right now.

Thanks I really appreciate this. I am at a total loss

redsand
09-02-2005, 11:46 AM
I just measured it. It is not perfect but It is darn close to 14" If it was any smaller in diameter the torque converter would have nothing to mount to......

Jagarang
09-02-2005, 12:20 PM
I know when I replaced the starter on my 69 the worst part was tring to keep all the little PITA shims lined up while holding the 2 ton starter, a socket wrench, starter bolt, and get the threads started true while laying on my back in the dirt and 106 degree Florida humidity! If you sense bitterness and hatred, perhaps I didn't make it sound as horid as it was! I'd sell my soul to rid myself of the experience!

Anyway, you may just need to get some of those niffty little shims to solve your problem.

redsand
09-02-2005, 12:30 PM
A shim or 20 shims for the matter will not help me here. Somehow I think I have the wrong flywheel in there.

That starter is a beast.

redsand
09-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Here is the $20000 question. It appears that I have it really close. The only thing that it is getting hung up on is when it disengages. The flywheel teeth have a beveled edge on one side. The only problem is that the beveled edge is on the wrong side of the flywheel. I know there is only 1 way to attach the flywheel to the crank, but it seems that if the beveled tooth side was on the other side the starter gear would disengage.

So the question is this. What side should the beveled? Should it be facing the rear of the car or the front?(Starter gear side)

Thanks,,,, I really appreciate all of the help

One last question if I have one side of the car jacked up could it actually be throwing off the whole starter allignment?

MrQuick
09-02-2005, 08:38 PM
I don't remember GM flex plates having a bevel,they are usually straight cut. The starter does have a bevel edge.

Your problem is with the shiming,sounds too tight. keep adding or subtracting till it releases clean. Also heres a trick that works for me. Once you get the shims right snug the bolts down, crank it over 2-3 times then torque the bolts down.

Ok weres my 20k??? ok how about 20 bucks and a baby ruth? Ok 10 bucks and some Skittles? Ahhh forget it buy yourself a new flex plate!

redsand
09-03-2005, 06:20 AM
I will try this. There is no way I am pulling this motor again. I guess I should not say this.....I will send you a baby ruth if this works.

Thanks again

79T/Aman
09-12-2005, 04:55 AM
the bevel you see on the flywheel is from getting ground by the starter, remember that adding shims will move the starter away from the flywheel not closer

CAMAROBOY69
09-12-2005, 06:44 AM
If that starter is grinding the flywheel you will have to get a new one no matter what. Sorry for the bad news.
If the flywheel is bad you could just pull the tranny and leave the motor in the car. You dont have to pull an engine to replace the flywheel.