PDA

View Full Version : another "budget" ridetech question

scott_fx
10-12-2013, 10:30 AM
after doing a lot of research on suspension upgrades for a 66 Chevelle. I am continually drawn back to the ride tech system. The car will be a daily driver is planned to get a 6.0 ls swap.

I love the idea of the drop in nature of the shockwave system but can't afford the $5k price tag. It led me to a lot of research and people pieces together their own systems.

A couple questions i have. Do the shockwaves require the ride tech brand control arms, or could I save a few hundred dollars and use global west upper and lower control arms (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-cnr-42h?seid=srese1&gclid=CKme-6DwkboCFeU9QgodOW8AQQ)
or can i use the ride tech lca and the stock uca?

As far as piecing the system together here is what i was thinking:
cdc50/12 compressor $200
3 gallon air tank $100
ridepro 4 way solenoid block $400
cool ride rear system $300
rear rq shocks $250
shockwave rq front system $700
lower control arms $600
$2,550
controller: i'm going to build this myself. I'll be installing a custom interface for anything electronic in my car.

Would this be a better setup then the level one for $2,300?

thanks

darren@ridetech
10-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Definitely have to use the RideTech lower arms. When we designed that lower arm we moved the lower shock mount down to allow us to run a longer shock and we also moved it back to better align w/ the upper shock mount. Also, the double sheer style mount that we use is much stronger than using a T-bar.

One other critical component that you will need is our tall/drop spindle. For $350 it is one of bigger improvement you will make to your front suspension. Goes a long way to keeping your tire flat on the pavement. Also, the taller spindle height will require a new upper arm that has the ball joint angles corrected.

I know you are trying to keep the price down... but keep your eye on the ball at the same time.

scott_fx
10-16-2013, 12:57 PM
thank you for the reply.

i think that i'll have to go with a non air ride suspension for the time being. maybe save this for a future upgrade.

thanks again!

Definitely have to use the RideTech lower arms. When we designed that lower arm we moved the lower shock mount down to allow us to run a longer shock and we also moved it back to better align w/ the upper shock mount. Also, the double sheer style mount that we use is much stronger than using a T-bar.

One other critical component that you will need is our tall/drop spindle. For $350 it is one of bigger improvement you will make to your front suspension. Goes a long way to keeping your tire flat on the pavement. Also, the taller spindle height will require a new upper arm that has the ball joint angles corrected.

I know you are trying to keep the price down... but keep your eye on the ball at the same time.

jlcustomz
10-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Just a few thoughts here, I have most of what I want to start on what was to be a semi-budget airride build on my 83 el camaro. During shock research I decided to give in & just get the ridetech front shockwaves rq, rear shocks rq, & f9000 rear bags. I,m saving a small amount fabbing my own rear mounts .Using my stock arms with new Moog rubber to start out. Fabbing my own fully manual air valve control system to save a little & have less electronics to worry about to worry about. Got a deal on some drop spindles. Actually went way overbudget getting 5 autometer ultralite air gauges to match my dash. Also a little overbudget getting a new York engine driven air compressor to replace the free one I had, but this will give me enough air for other uses.

Basically if you have the skills & stuff, you may save a little fabbing brackets & getting manual airvalves to start out with , which could be swapped out later if you want. This type of thing is not for everybody though. I may also later fab my own front sway bar.

There is some lower cost stuff out there that is decent, but if you want true quality shocks ( brains of the system), then there aren't really any savings out there to be had.

scott_fx
10-16-2013, 03:44 PM
ha. we'd make a great team. i'm just the opposite of you. I could build the controller from the ground up, just cant fab anything that could affect the safety of the car. :D

Just a few thoughts here, I have most of what I want to start on what was to be a semi-budget airride build on my 83 el camaro. During shock research I decided to give in & just get the ridetech front shockwaves rq, rear shocks rq, & f9000 rear bags. I,m saving a small amount fabbing my own rear mounts .Using my stock arms with new Moog rubber to start out. Fabbing my own fully manual air valve control system to save a little & have less electronics to worry about to worry about. Got a deal on some drop spindles. Actually went way overbudget getting 5 autometer ultralite air gauges to match my dash. Also a little overbudget getting a new York engine driven air compressor to replace the free one I had, but this will give me enough air for other uses.

Basically if you have the skills & stuff, you may save a little fabbing brackets & getting manual airvalves to start out with , which could be swapped out later if you want. This type of thing is not for everybody though. I may also later fab my own front sway bar.

There is some lower cost stuff out there that is decent, but if you want true quality shocks ( brains of the system), then there aren't really any savings out there to be had.