PDA

View Full Version : 12 bolt conversion

mightymouse713
09-08-2004, 09:27 AM
I purchased a used 67 Nova 12 bolt rear to replace my 10 bolt open on a 68 Camaro. I have a new Eaton posi series 3 carrier, rebuild kit, multi leaf spring perches, and 3.31 ring gear/pinion. Can anyone give me good advice on welding these spring perches in place to acheive correct pinion angle?...short of pulling my original rear end out 1st. I would like to weld the perches on, powder coat, and then assemble.
Will I have any problems with brake lines and e-brake cables?
Thanks,
mm

MrQuick
09-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi MM ,If its a real 12 bolt out of a 67' Nova then its probably a unit out an L79. Real rare and I've seen them go for $3500 +. I say get the numbers off of it,see if its legit and sell it to some Nova freek on ebay.Then buy a complete unit from Strange or Moser.
If you elect to use it I suggest bolting it all up in the car, with the u- bolts and perch snug ,set the pinion angle, then carefully weld the perches on. Would be nice if you had the rims and tires so you can center the rear so tires are equally spaced. gl

mightymouse713
09-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Is there a way I can do this off the vehicle? I am sure that it makes more sense to do it on the vehicle to assure centering and all but can it be acheived by measurements off of the vehicle?
mm