PDA

View Full Version : BOP axle durability in the corners?

SuperRA
10-01-2013, 07:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any experience using the BOP axle on their G-machine ride? I like the BOP axle design in that it's got fully retained bearings and also that it's the original axle on my car. Apparently it's able to handle the power I expect to put into it. I don't mind that parts may be a bit harder to come by. Here's where I wonder though...

The bearing on the left is from my Pontiac axle, the one on the right is from my Toyota mini pickup.
Seems like a pretty big difference no? I believe the Pontiac's curb weight is about 3600lbs vs. the Pickup's 3000lbs. I suppose the pickup was designed alot more payload though. Perhaps the reason for the larger bearing?

Here's another comparison to a 1980 Celica's Axle bearing. The shiny silver one on top is the BOP bearing and the rusty one below is the Celica's.
Seems the Celica's is twice the width (obviously two rows of bearings)

So how will these seemingly small bearings hold up on a heavy G-machine with super wide tires going around corners with gusto?

Rod
10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
hope some axle experts jump in! mine seam to hold up fair(in the camaro) I say fair because I put new ones in the car when I built it 5 years ago and I have changed them once already(last year)

SuperRA
10-02-2013, 04:31 PM
hope some axle experts jump in! mine seam to hold up fair(in the camaro) I say fair because I put new ones in the car when I built it 5 years ago and I have changed them once already(last year)

Thanks for the response Rod. So you had to change them because they wore out I'm assuming? Do you race or drive hard in the corners with your camaro?