PDA

View Full Version : Painting inner fenders and firewall at home?

real57vetteguy
10-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Hi guys,

I am pulling the engine out of my 537 mile 65 442 project. I have never been a paint/body guy but have been around it for years. I smoothed my firewall and did all the prep and finish work. I actually used some high end eastwood spray paint, sanded, painted sanded, etc etc, applied about 6 coats of clear, wet sanded, buffed etc and it turned out incredible, The problem is the durability, after only 537 miles, and a few mishaps its dulled out a bit. While the engine is out I would like to redo this myself in hopes to obtain a longer term quality finish. Any suggestions? I do have a good sized compressor in the shop but I would rather not have to go spend a thousand dollars on guns, etc for a one time use, but I do want to do it correctly.

astroracer
10-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Probably don't need to repaint it. With that much clear on it a simple wet sanding and re-polish should do the job. Try it before you go hog wild on materials and tools. :)
Mark

sccacuda
10-01-2013, 04:01 PM
If you used rattle can base and clear, the non catalyzed paint will never have any durability and difficult to hold out a shine. To do it correctly, that will all need to come off, back to a solid substrate of primer. Being under the hood, a good single stage paint would be adequate, and possibly more durable if you use some of the industrial paints (think Imron), but I'm thinking since you've already cut and buffed your looking for a base clear finish. A good high solids clear should give you the look and decent durability your after.

sccacuda
10-01-2013, 04:05 PM
BTW, 3M has a plastic disposable paint gun that does a decent job. If your planning to cut and buff you'll never know it was painted with a disposable gun. I know a few shops that are even jambing parts and painting sills with them with good results.

jazz
10-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote If you used rattle can base and clear, the non catalyzed paint will never have any durability and difficult to hold out a shine

X2

mikester
10-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Get a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP and spray your inner fenders with SEM brand Hot Rod Flatz. The kits under $80 and comes with a qt of color, hardener, and reducer. I don't know if youre looking to do them in a satin black but that's what I used on my car and it looks great.