PDA

View Full Version : Goodguys' Texas Road Tour 2013

BigMikeIndy
09-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Bret is out west enjoying the Texas Road Tour in Sharons' 70 GTO convertible. He has been sending in a daily update to be shared with everyone.

DAY 1

"You guys probably think that all I do is cruise from one cool car show to the next fun race. That's because I don't write about the boring stuff...nobody cares about that!
This weeks escapade is the Goodguys muscle car Tour. About 35 of the countries coolest Hotrods are driving from Pleasanton ca to ft. Worth Texas over the next 7 days, ending up at the Ft. Worth Goodguys show next weekend. (Insert link to schedule here) ill do my best to take pictures and add comments about the tour this next week.
We're driving our 71 GTO convertible on the tour. For an Indiana boy, it's nearly a surreal experience to be cruising along the sunny California highways with the top down visiting some crazy shops and car collections with this group of hotrodders.
After leaving Goodguys headquarters in Pleasanton at noon we stopped by Dennis Varni's shop in San Jose. Real Hotrods love here...an indycar hanging from the ceiling, a 317mph bonneville car being wrenched on, several historical land speed racers sitting around, and a polished aluminum cobra with a 427 SOHC engine!
The next stop was Campbell Auto Restoration. Lots of cool stuff projects there...so many that I flat forgot to take any pictures. Oh, well, I was there https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/02/smile1-1.gif Today is a short day as we're speeding the evening in Morgan hill. Tomorrows route takes us to Bakersfield. Forecast: sunny, 85, and fun! More tomorrow! "

Bret Voelkel

BigMikeIndy
09-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Getting our goodie bags for the trip. Goodguys really went to a lot of work setting up this tour!

Just a small selection of the cars on the tour. High end stuff.

The ceiling ornament is an Indycar from the mid 70's built by Lil John Buttera

I've got this thing for bare metal...especially when it's SOHC powered!

Jack Trepanier and Greg Schneider looking lost as usual

More cool stuff from the shop of Dennis Varni.

BigMikeIndy
09-30-2013, 06:12 AM
Day 2
Day two of the Goodguys muscle car tour takes us from Morgan Hill to Bakersfield, a nice drive of about 250 miles. Two things stuck out to me on this drive today: the roads are better in California than I remember...and I didn't know they grew cotton here!
We got the privilege of stopping by the car collection of john Lawson in Fresno today. I lost count of the cars but they were all just drop dead perfect. Tonite it's dinner and a show at Buck Owens Crystal Palace in Bakersfield. Tomorrow...on to Lake Havasu City, AZ. Yeehaw!

Bret Voelkel

BigMikeIndy
09-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Goodguys Ed Capen gives everyone the morning pep talk

Ever see a 33 Ford limo?

Of course, no trip to Cali is complete without a trip to In N Out Burger!

Row after row...

...after row after row...

...after row

And a few spare parts sitting around as well.

I've got this thing for bare metal cars. There isn't anything I don't like about this car!

Eyegasm!

A few more of the tour cars.

BigMikeIndy
10-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Day 3 Bakersfield to Lake Havasu

The late (and fun!) evening at Buck Owens Crystal Palace last night made for an early morning today. The stretch between Bakersfield and Barstow was quite scenic. Barstow to Lake Havasu, not as much. But the stops at lake havasu were worth the wait. The first stop was a Premier Street Rods. In addition to being a full service parts and service shop, they also manufacture the 49-54 Chevy pickup cabs.
The next stop was car the gorgeous home and shop of Richard Raczuk, owner of Koul Tools. Richard is an inventor and tinkerer and has a better equipped home shop that is better than many manufacturers.
Then is was on to the airport hangar of Big Mike Harrah. Big Mike likes big toys. The dual engined, 12 blowered exercise in fabrication and polishing is almost surreal!
The last stop in Havasu was the Sunday evening car show in downtown. Lake havasu is not a huge town, but somehow about 400 cars turned out! Great time.
Tomorrow...on to Phoenix!

Bret Voelkel
President, Ridetech

BigMikeIndy
10-01-2013, 06:01 AM
For the guys who think Troy Trepanier and George Poteet don't drive their cars...you'd be wrong. George is loving his ridetech coilovers!

From the outrageous mind of Big Mike Harrah...2 Detroit Diesels with (12) 14-71 blowers.

Troy is trying to figure out how to incorporate this concept into his next build

This is part of the HOME shop of Richard Raczuk. When I get home I'm going to burn mine.

...and this is the stunning work that Richard turns out.

A small portion of the showroom at Premier Street Rods in Lake Havasu. Great shop!