PDA

View Full Version : What do think it may be worth?

Jasons68
09-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Keeping in mind that its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the time...can you tell me what you think my car would go for?

I started working on an ebay ad and included it below. Constructive criticism welcome on the ad. I am thinking $18kish but look forward to objective thoughts Thanks!

Disclaimer: I will make every attempt to accurately describe my Camaro. That being said, I am only a hobbyist and do not consider myself an expert in any aspect of automotive restoration. I will do my best to answer your questions and will make every effort to accommodate inspectors, appraisers, and such.

THE GOOD:
Up for sale is a beautiful 1968 Camaro convertible. This was originally a California car and was brought to Florida in 2004 where it has been garaged at all times. To the best of my knowledge there is no rust anywhere on this car! I have owned this car since 2002-ish and it was my daily driver for a year or so after that. It is not a show car or trailer queen, but it always turns heads and attracts a lot of attention!
Engine runs very strong! The 90+ octane gas seems to be what she is happiest with. I was told the engine was a 383 by the previous owner and have had no reason to doubt him. I have not had the engine apart so I cannot testify if it is in fact a 383.

This was equipped with air conditioning originally, but has never been hooked up since I have owned the car. The original “suitcase” or AC box is still attached. The car now has a newer style compressor (from the serpentine conversion) so you will need an aftermarket kit or return everything to OEM to make it functional.
The top is hydraulic/power and is in very good shape. It has a glass rear window instead of the usual plastic one that is prone to yellowing and clouding.
The interior is in great “stock” condition. The dash is unmolested and has the original am radio, but it is not functioning. The only non-stock item in the passenger compartment is the Autometer gauge package. I have been careful to not modify anything that could not be easily returned to stock condition.
Body is what I would describe as very good. No known rust or body work, but it has a few parking lot scars. The exterior is painted grey. The color under that is bronze. I believe the bronze is the original color. I am not a body man and the car has never been stripped down. That being said, I am not aware of any bondo/filler or bodywork that has been performed on this car. There are some chips in the paint as well as some small dings but nothing you can notice from a few feet away.

The cooling system includes a dual speed Taurus fan with the Dakota Digital controller and it works great! I have the temperature reading coming from the driver’s side head with the fan turning on at 190 degrees and I have yet to see the temps creep noticeably over 190.
The brakes are also one of my favorite things about this car (is that weird?). The hydro-boost combined with the 13” vette brakes really slow this car down in a hurry! There is an adjustable proportioning valve also. I was considering rear disk brakes, but the truth is the car doesn’t need them it would be for cosmetic reasons only. The rear drums were overhauled in July of 2011.

ENGINE: 383 CI
CARBURATER: NEW EDELBROCK AVS 750 CFM
INTAKE MANIFOLD: ALUMINUM WINTERS “SNOWFLAKE” FROM 1964-65 CORVETTE
HEADS: ALUMINUM PART# ********************
EXHAUST: EXHAUST MANIFOLDS TO UNIVERSAL MAGNAFLOW MUFFLERS THAT TURN DOWN BEHIND THE AXLE.
TRANSMISSION: 700R4
REAR END: 12 BOLT 3:55 POSI
WHEELS: C5 CORVETTE 17" WHEELS UPFRONT AND 18" IN THE REAR. THESE WERE BOUGHT AS “ROLLERS” TO ACCOMODATE THE BIGGER BRAKES AND HAVE COSMETIC BLEMISHES. NOTHING ON THE OUTER SURFACES ONLY ON THE INNER WHEEL. Aluminum spacers are used to correct backspacing issues and allow the tires to fit.
TIRES: KHUMO ECSTA MX
FRONT-245/45ZR17
REAR 275/40ZR18
MALLORY DISTRIBUTOR WITH ELECTRONIC POINTS

NEWER MINI-STARTER ($300 WHEN NEW) AND REMOTE FORD SOLENOID
ALUMINUM CHEVY SERPENTINE BELT DRIVE WITH NEW BELT, WATERPUMP & ALTERNATOR
POWER STEERING
ALUMINUM BE COOL RADIATOR
TAURUS DUAL SPEED ELECTRIC FAN (ONLY ONE SPEED HOOKED UP)
DAKOTA DIGITAL FAN CONTROLLER (THIS CONTROLLER CAN HANDLE TWO SPEEDS YOU JUST NEED ANOTHER RELAY)
13” C5 CORVETTE FRONT DISC BRAKES WITH DRILLED & SLOTTED ROTORS
SUBFRAME CONNECTORS (Global West style)

THE BAD…..O.K NOT REALLY BAD BUT…..
If I were not selling the car, and had the money, my next two projects would be to rewire from the firewall forward and redo/upgrade the suspension. These are areas that could use improvement. Everything electrical works and the charging system also works great, but the 40+ year old wiring combined with the electric fan, fan controller and a newer model alternator(CS130D) have made the wiring a bit unsightly. The suspension is just soft (probably all original) and even if the springs, shocks & bushing were replaced to OEM standards it would be a nice improvement.

The carburetor is new and was purchased for the out-of-the-box ability Edelbrocks are known for. It replaced a Holley that needed to be rebuilt and it has lost a little in performance. I have only done the basic adjustments on the Edelbrock and the car runs great, but I am sure more can squeezed out of the Eddy and/or another Holley if you are good with carbs.

raustinss
09-28-2013, 05:41 AM
I used to sell cars and the line was there's a ass for every car and a car for every ass, the cars worth whatever someone is willing to pay...also there's different values...what's it worth to you...what's it worth for insurance purposes...what's it appraisal value..and what's it's sale price
Best of luck Ryan Austin
P.s imo...id say 12-15k$...not a great market right now, and the engine bay is a Lil messy

Craig510
09-28-2013, 07:29 AM
That is a nice looking car but....Your wiring is an absolute mess. It is nothing that a couple of hours, some zip ties and some wire loom won't fix. Any time I see bare wires rubbing the valve covers and nothing bundled up it makes me wonder what the under dash looks like?

Good luck with the sale.

Jasons68
09-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

icemanrd19
09-29-2013, 05:12 AM
first thing that popped in my mind. Clean up that engine bay, rubber floor mats have to go, and polish the rest of the car. The more you clean it up the more money you will get. I would think 15k should be easily had.

Quickboat
09-30-2013, 04:40 AM
Wow that wiring. But I'm more concerned about the 17 and 18 inch tires on 18 and 19 inch rims. They may not hold air well.. other wise nice ride....;-)

Jasons68
09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Wow that wiring. But I'm more concerned about the 17 and 18 inch tires on 18 and 19 inch rims. They may not hold air well.. other wise nice ride....;-)

Thanks for catching that!!!! They are the stock 17 and 18. Description fixed

toofun
10-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Hey Jason,

Give me a call and check your PM box.

Mark
TOOFUN

Jasons68
10-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Returned the pm. Sorry it took so long. I look forward to talking with you. You are kinda like a legend on this forum!!