PDA

View Full Version : '69 Camaro Front Suspension Kit Advice

Royalty Rides
09-25-2013, 01:16 PM
I just recently purchased a 69 camaro. I am planning on using my original subframe, getting it stripped and powdercoated and building the front suspension. I was sold on Heidts but looking through forums it seems as if no one is really using their suspension kit. I've seen a lot of people using Speedtech. Just wanted opinions from anyone that has used either or if there's another company I should look into? My complete suspension will be 2" dropped in front with Wilwood brakes, DSE minitub 3" dropped kit with leaf springs out back. LS (not sure on which exact size) and a T56 Magnum. I will be putting Boze forged 18x9.5" up front and 18x12" out back.

Thanks for any feedback!

Rod
09-25-2013, 02:09 PM
there are a lot of great front end kits around, but since your using DSE leafs on the rear why not DSE coils and arms on the front? because the spring rates will be matched. if not you can got Hotchkis coils and arms, or with Ridetechs arms and coil over front setup, Speed tech make good stuff also, heck you can even go Global west stuff as an option, kinda depends on what you want,

Royalty Rides
09-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the information Rod. My current plans aren't to race the car, so I wasn't into the idea of spending close to $1000 more for DSE front. Are the spring rates varied that much across companies?

bret
09-25-2013, 04:36 PM
I just recently purchased a 69 camaro. I am planning on using my original subframe, getting it stripped and powdercoated and building the front suspension. I was sold on Heidts but looking through forums it seems as if no one is really using their suspension kit. I've seen a lot of people using Speedtech. Just wanted opinions from anyone that has used either or if there's another company I should look into? My complete suspension will be 2" dropped in front with Wilwood brakes, DSE minitub 3" dropped kit with leaf springs out back. LS (not sure on which exact size) and a T56 Magnum. I will be putting Boze forged 18x9.5" up front and 18x12" out back.

Thanks for any feedback!

Another option to consider: http://www.ridetech.com/store/tru-turn/

Royalty Rides
09-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Another option to consider: http://www.ridetech.com/store/tru-turn/

This is one of the main things I want to be able to do 10" wide up front. Will the tru-turn kit work with other tubular control arms?

Rod
09-25-2013, 11:16 PM
This is one of the main things I want to be able to do 10" wide up front. Will the tru-turn kit work with other tubular control arms?

the Tru-turn Kit will work with other tube arms(I personally used it with global west arm and DSE arms) but why not use it with the ridetech arms? and then you will have the best Ball joint geometry angle for their tall spindle that's in the Tru-Turn kit(tall spindle also corrects the camber curve) most other companies design their arms for the short factory spindles, that kit is a great set up and you gain 3 things, 1) better camber curve 2) reduced bump steer 3) and you can run FATTY tires! up front

Royalty Rides
09-26-2013, 10:33 AM
the Tru-turn Kit will work with other tube arms(I personally used it with global west arm and DSE arms) but why not use it with the ridetech arms? and then you will have the best Ball joint geometry angle for their tall spindle that's in the Tru-Turn kit(tall spindle also corrects the camber curve) most other companies design their arms for the short factory spindles, that kit is a great set up and you gain 3 things, 1) better camber curve 2) reduced bump steer 3) and you can run FATTY tires! up front

Makes complete sense. You've made my decision a lot easier. A few people are suggesting the Tru-Turn kit. Last question is I was going to go with QA1 coilover kit, but RideTech offers a different coil-over. Will this affect the geometry at all?