PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Texting While Driving

go-fish
09-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Hello friends,

I have not been as active on Pro-touring.com in the past year or two because I have gotten out of the military and have been going to school full time for an Associate's in Fire Science Technology and Emergency Medical Technician and have been busy testing and interviewing with as many fire departments as possible. I have used the leadership instilled in me by the military to take on the role as the President of my student organization, Southwestern College Fire Science Club. I also work at the college as an Emergency Manager. With the club, we volunteer at local fire departments and with institutions like the Red Cross and Burn Institute which helps burn victims recover from horrific injuries. We periodically hold fundraisers that benefit the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation as well.

The Southwestern College Fire Science Club has recently partnered with both AT&T and the California Highway Patrol to stop texting and driving. As we all know this is a serious issue on our roads and has caused multiple deaths and serious injuries. What the Fire Science Club asks of you, is to put an end to texting while driving and take the pledge. Please look at your cell phone and read the last text message you sent or recieved. Is it worth dying for? Typically when someone dies as a result of texting and driving the message in question reads something like ,"on my way" or "OK". Eyes are diverted from the road for approximately 5 seconds when a person looks at a text. Travelling at 65-70 mph, that is nearly the length of a football field. Would you close your eyes for 100 yards while driving down a busy highway?

The contest winner will receive $1,000.00 for their club. These winnings can pay for more club events, volunteering efforts, and most importantly donations to the National Fallen Firefighter Foundation. We are not asking much, all we ask is for you to text and ask you friends and family members to text:

SWCFIRE “IT CAN WAIT” to 464329

Contest has started and will end on Monday the 23rd of September, 2013 at 5PM. Text messages are free of charge. Please do not participate in this contest while operating your car!

Thank you,
J.