PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from Mississippi - good read and PICTURES!

4eyedconekiller
09-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Hey all,

I've been lurking around on and off, watching some of the awesome builds, wishing I could do the same at some point!

I'm a later-in-life nursing student, but a lifetime gearhead. I grew up handing wrenches to my old man, and was blessed to spend some time working on a few with him over the years. I've never done any kind of crazy build, but have learned a lot from what I have messed with over the years. *Disclaimer* if you don't mind a read, this is gonna be a little long, lol. If you aren't much of a reader, check out the Pictures at the end of the post.

I've got a long term project that I've been tinkering with for the last several years, and it looks like I'll be a while longer. It really isn't "Pro-Touring" by some standards, but I'm gonna try and make a newer representation of it. Here we go!

I have an '86 Mustang GT that I bought basically stock 7-8 years ago. I planned to use it as my daily and weekend toy, but wound up with a good daily and started buying parts. Little did I know how much of a snowball I was about to get rolling, lol. Since then, I've been able to do my first brake upgrade, my first paint job, basic suspension setup, and and learn the joys of owning an antique - squeaks, rust and all. It has some serious sentimental value, as it was my first car to really wrench on, and my now late Dad and I spent many hours messing with it over the years. I really put it together to be a great handling street car, that I could take to the strip for some fun. It's been a lot of fun, and I have huge plans, but I'll get to that in a minute - here's the scoop on it so far:

Mod List:
STOCK engine - never even had the valve covers off!
Bassanni EL Ceramic Coated Headers
Pypes X Pipe
Magnaflow catback (currently dumped)
Harris Speed Works Nitrous Kit (currently pilled ~150 shot)

Suspension/Brakes:
MM CC Plates
Koni SA struts and shocks
H&R Race Springs (Front), with Steeda 350# Torque Arm Springs in the rear
Steeda 5-link-2
Carriage House Engineering LCA's
MM XL Subframe Connectors
'03 Cobra front brakes, '96 GT rears, stainless soft lines on calipers and MC

Drivetrain:
Stock T5, with RAM HDX Clutch
Detroit Trutrac
Moser Axles
ARP Wheel studs
FRPP 3.73's
FRPP Driveshaft
MGW Shifter with orange handle, and custom cue ball knob

Electronics:
HID's both lows (5000K) and fogs (3000K)
LED taillight conversion from CJ Pony Parts
Had a stereo system, but was all recently sold (bills suck!)

OEM Ford 10th Anniversary Cobra wheels, wrapped in 245's (F) and 275's (R)

The car handles a million times better than it did stock, and looks amazing for the hell it's been through over the years. I did a good bit of auto cross with it, and realized with the setup it wasn't much of a drag car, so the nitrous kit is just to keep it from feeling so slow, lol. My current locale has TERRIBLE roads, so the heavy rate springs are rough on the kidneys, and everything else. With this being my "first" for all this stuff, there's a lot that I learned, but see things I could've done differently. The car currently has some rust issues in the rear seat pans and some bubbling in the paint, so it's down until I can find someone I trust to weld in some new panels. I'm pretty confident doing anything but tranny rebuilds, but I can't weld for crap. My Dad was a professional, but by the time I had the time and place to learn, he had a pacemaker, so I tried to keep him from welding any more than he had to. Being in nursing school poses challenges both in time and finances, so the car is currently riding an awesome mismatched set of jackstands, and I piddle along when I can to keep me from getting too worried about it, lol.

I have the engine and headers sold, and have been working on an explorer setup to go in the car next. On the eventual side of things, I plan to go at the least all MM tubular, running forward offset control arms, and likely going with the Maier or Tiger Racing fenders and quarter panels to allow me to run some real tire sizes. I'm going to try and progress up from my staggered setup now to 275's at all corners, to eventually being able to run a 315 or so. I don't know yet if I want to run an air suspension, or if I'm going to go the coilover route, but I'm going to try and put something together that'll be more road-worthy than the current situation. I eventually plan to either go the DOHC 4.6 or Coyote route, running through a T56, and would like to eventually go to hydroboost brakes and newer creature comforts liek cruise control, and redo the stereo with new stuff, and soing some major interior work to make the car a solid cruiser, whether I want to drive to the store, or across country.

After I finish with the fox, I'd like to really do something really nuts, and build a PT GTX, with all late model SRT power and drivetrain, something like the "Hammer" that I saw a few years back. If you're gonna dream, you might as well dream big, right?

PICS!

Before the teardown (dirty):

How she currently sits:

Anyway, enough from me - lookin forward to learning from and meeting some of you guys!

-Michael

bmbrzmn101
09-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Welcome to the forum. Love the year model. I remember driving a friends mustang very similar to that when it was new. Fast but could not keep the rear planted.

Chris

4eyedconekiller
09-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the compliments, Chris! it's been a blast, but preparing to really do some work when the time and funds are right... I have very little trouble with rear traction now - the CHE LCA's and 5-link-2's PHB and revised upper links do it an amazing job of adding traction, and locating the rearend - these cars have TERRIBLE rear-steer and binding issues with the factory geometry and control arms - I've got some pictures somewhere where 3-4" of rear tire is sticking out one side of the car, with some cheap skinny tires before I did any real rear suspension upgrades - it was hairy, with snap oversteer, and a lot of opposite lock. I'd have hated to see it with some sticky stuff under it.

Now the car is very well planted, even with a semi-sticky street tire (Kumho XS). It's a lot like the 05+ cars, but you don't feel the weight like you do with those. Turn-in is awesome compared to stock. The car doesn't rotate as well a I'd like, but I'm sure with more power, and maybe more front tire I'd see that change in the handling, but it would just mean I'd need to be more gentle with inputs.

Love your Elky!

69lsxamx
09-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Welcome. We have had some good times with the car. I'm sure there will be plenty more to come. Why did you pull the interior out?

bmbrzmn101
09-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Michael, thanks about the Elky, but she has put on hold for awhile. My 13 year old son and I are working on a 1951 chevy truck for him to drive when he is 16. Funny thing is that what started as a rotrod type build is morphing into a show/protour type build. My wife will kill us both before it's over. LOL

Chris

4eyedconekiller
09-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Welcome. We have had some good times with the car. I'm sure there will be plenty more to come. Why did you pull the interior out?

It has been a lot of fun... You, my Dad and a few other folks are really one of the only reasons I still have it. I had the opportunity to sell it last year, but couldn't bring myself to. I pulled the interior to start doing some sound deadening and get ready to build a rear sear delete, and that's when I found the rust in the seatpan. I disassembled the latch on one door, and that's been about where it's been for the last several months, other than converting to mass air earlier in the summer.

Michael, thanks about the Elky, but she has put on hold for awhile. My 13 year old son and I are working on a 1951 chevy truck for him to drive when he is 16. Funny thing is that what started as a rotrod type build is morphing into a show/protour type build. My wife will kill us both before it's over. LOL

Chris

Chris, once a project starts, I've learned it takes a life of its own at some point, haha. Got any pics of the '51? Sounds like a fun project!

bmbrzmn101
09-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Michael I'll put a pic up here for ya of what it looked like the day we brought it home out of a field. I don't want to clutter your thread with pix of my stuff. I will try to get a thread going before too long on it though. And yes they do get a life of their on. I just think a 13 year old needs to find a job to help fund his vehicle mods. Lol.

Chris

The day we brought it home and baby boy with his dinner, he was all hungry after a hard day traveling and working. haha

And yes, that is a Ford hauling a Chevy. Lol

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/09/DSC_0016_zpsf9cbf7be-1.jpg (http://s59.photobucket.com/user/bmbrzmn101/media/1951%20chevy/DSC_0016_zpsf9cbf7be.jpg.html)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/09/DSC_0003_zps026e21eb-1.jpg (http://s59.photobucket.com/user/bmbrzmn101/media/1951%20chevy/DSC_0003_zps026e21eb.jpg.html)

4eyedconekiller
09-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Michael I'll put a pic up here for ya of what it looked like the day we brought it home out of a field. I don't want to clutter your thread with pix of my stuff. I will try to get a thread going before too long on it though. And yes they do get a life of their on. I just think a 13 year old needs to find a job to help fund his vehicle mods. Lol.

Chris

No worries, Chris. Looks like a lot of fun! If I ever have kids, I'll be hunting them a project the moment they show interest, lol. I put in some good hours with my dad when we did some of my old projects as a construction gopher, and handing wrenches working on the family cars. Wonder if rhere's a first car/first project thread here somewhere...