PDA

View Full Version : ride tech four link install

wedgehead
09-16-2013, 03:17 PM
We are installing a ridetech four link in a 78 Trans Am. My question is that we are installing a 12 bolt in place of the 10 bolt and the kit for doing that comes with weld on lower brackets for the four link and lower shock mount. When we set it up to weld do the brackets mount vertical or can they be mounted slightly tilted forward. If mounted with the back of the bracket vertical to the rear end the tire is not centered in the wheel opening. If i mount it slightly tilted the bolt for the shock is not level. The shock does have a spherical bearing so will it affect any of the geometry if the bracket tilts forward to center the wheel?

onair
09-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Kenny,
What pinion angle are you setting the rearend up at and what hole do you have the lower bar in? The bar should be in the center hole to set it up and the lower shock mount should be parallel with the upper bolt.

bret
09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
We are installing a ridetech four link in a 78 Trans Am. My question is that we are installing a 12 bolt in place of the 10 bolt and the kit for doing that comes with weld on lower brackets for the four link and lower shock mount. When we set it up to weld do the brackets mount vertical or can they be mounted slightly tilted forward. If mounted with the back of the bracket vertical to the rear end the tire is not centered in the wheel opening. If i mount it slightly tilted the bolt for the shock is not level. The shock does have a spherical bearing so will it affect any of the geometry if the bracket tilts forward to center the wheel?

If you try to rotate teh lower bar mount/coilover mount forward from vertical, you will run into 2 problems:

1. The lower coilover mount will be misaligned with the upper coilover mount, probably to the extent that you'll bind the bearing mounts.

2. the lower bar will be the wrong length.

Make sure the rearend housing is at highway ride height, make sure the pinion angle is at zero, make sure the rear face of the lower bar/shock mount is vertical. If your vehicle has been crashed or is otherwise out of square, you may require a custom lower bar to re-center the rear end.