PDA

View Full Version : Afco Hidden adjuster and spring rates A-body

Milow68
08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
I am wondering which springs to order with my afco hidden adjusters. I don't plan on running it on any tracks in the near future (redoing two cars is killing the bank account and sick of living at work). I was think the 12" 550 lb springs for my 69 Chevelle with small block or should I step down to a 9.5 spring and a higher rate????? I will be running 17" Budnik's which are for my 68 Camaro (sorry Camaro). I want a good ride because mostly what this car is for is just cruising (can you say low buck). I already have a set of Global West rear springs that are I believe 175 lb springs.
Any help to the right path is much appreciated!
Thanks
Brad
PS Dennis if you catch this I lost all my old emails that is why I am posting.

zuess4u
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
It depends what your doing with the car. I know you said cruizing, but if you have hidden adjustables, Im assuning you want to be able to adjust ride height.

If so, go with the 9.5 spring, the 12 spring along with your adjuster will not allow you to go lower, matter of fact, if the 12 is stock spring height, your car will sit higher using the adjuster with it.

I would use 650 9.5 Hyper coil spring, good ride, and will help the car handle a bit more. Anymore then that, you might notice a little stiffness.

Milow68
08-30-2005, 02:47 PM
The reason I want to stick with afco is I have a stock car shop about five miles from my house and they have a lot of goodies on hand. I want to lower the stance and not exactly bare the front end but I do want to bring it down so the stance looks right. I guess I have forgotten the adjuster will add to the spring height does anybody know now much???? The hidden adjuster do have to be welded in????
Thanks
Brad

zuess4u
08-30-2005, 03:22 PM
The adjuster and the ring around it should add up to a lil over 3 " with the adjustable ring all the way down/depending where your mounting it. I guess I should say at the adjusters lowest point it should be about 3".

With the Hypercoil 9.5 spring, it lowers the height 3", if you use an Afco spring Im not sure where it will be though.

Dont be too concerned on front spring rate unless your driving in auto crosses or something of that nature, keep the rate under 750lbs and you should be fine.

Also going too heavy in the rear will affect your ride as well, 175lbs should be fine as well, hope this helps. PS...try and put that adjuster in the lower control arm, much easier to adjust.

Davezz28
08-30-2005, 04:40 PM
If you use the Afco adjustable spring cup, you will want to go with the 5" X 9.5" springs. The spring cup has a 2" solid section at the top, which you will have to trim to mate up with the upper spring area of the frame, and 2" of thread. If you use the 12" sping you will be raising the front end even if you screw the the adjuster all the way down.

The factory rear springs have a rate around 110# so if you want to keep the car ballanced you might keep the rate down in the front, like around 450-550#. This will keep the car ballanced and still have a good street ride.

If you raise the rear spring rate up to around 175#, I would go 650-750# in the front and you will still have a great ride but the car will handle a lot better.

Keep in mind you can keep the springs soft and tune with front and rear bars to help with your cornering.

Dave