PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro wheel well trimming

cold69
08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
I've got a 69 camaro with a killer paint job already on it. I just got my Bonspeed wheels in and I need to either trim the lip or roll it on the rear fender wheel wells. I was planning on trimming the inner lips about a 1/4' to 1/2". Has anyone done this already? And if so did you use tin snips or a nibbler or die grinder. I think there is too much metal to use the grinder and I am afraid of heating the metal up too much.

I am not to crazy about rolling the lip because I would cry if I screwed up the paint job. It's taken me way too long to get to this point.

Any help is appreciated.

zuess4u
08-30-2005, 10:25 AM
I've got a 69 camaro with a killer paint job already on it. I just got my Bonspeed wheels in and I need to either trim the lip or roll it on the rear fender wheel wells. I was planning on trimming the inner lips about a 1/4' to 1/2". Has anyone done this already? And if so did you use tin snips or a nibbler or die grinder. I think there is too much metal to use the grinder and I am afraid of heating the metal up too much.

I am not to crazy about rolling the lip because I would cry if I screwed up the paint job. It's taken me way too long to get to this point.

Any help is appreciated.

Yes this is very scary when the car is already painted, but try finding a deep welled socket, that just fits tightly between the lip and the tire, take an extension and your rachet and slowly roll, do this until socket has no effect, then go up a size and repeat.

If your paint job was recent and quality, you shouldnt have any problems, but if you, dont be mad at me.....this something you need to do at your risk....but it has work for me on other cars.

cold69
08-30-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty bold, but when it comes to the car. It's a different ball game. I think I'm going to use the cut-off wheel. Probably the Dremel, because there is better speed control.

I would be afraid of the paint cracking at the bends with the socket trick. I would do it in a heart beat if the car didn't have the paint job that it has. I'll submit pics once I get the wheels mounted. Everyone will understand why I use the screen name cold69.

I am curious, did you put body filler in after rolling, and did you have to make some snips or cuts to do this?

indyjps
08-31-2005, 11:46 PM
jsut saw a roller from i believe tires plus. it was in a tech write up in last months magazines. ill see if i can find more info. anyone else see it.

CAMAROBOY69
09-01-2005, 03:49 AM
If you guys do try the socket make sure to wrap it in duct tape or some other material. If you put a metal socket against paint you will take the paint off instantly. Unless the socket is covered with something. You could even wrap it with clothing material then duct tape.

ProdigyCustoms
09-01-2005, 04:53 AM
I am betting on disasster trying to roll the lip. Trim it back to a half inch with a die grinder or better yet a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel. Trinning Anthing more then a half inch is useless because the inner fender interferes before the outer when trimed.

cold69
09-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Did you guys just paint over the freshly cut metal? Anyone use any rust inhibitors or sealers? I know its not a big surface but the rust monster loves wheel wells as we all know.

Thanks Again Guys

vanzuuk1
09-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I am putting this off ,but when I do it i will use 1/2 inch tape as a guide.

Jim Nilsen
09-02-2005, 05:36 AM
Get some thin shim stock and tape it to the inside of the inner fender so you can't scratch it up. Then put the masking tape on the fender lip and draw your line where you want to cut. Now with some patience and a jab saw and an 18 tooth hack saw blade ,start cutting. This will reduce any heat build up and it may take awhile but but a cutoff wheel adds enough heat that you will have to go slowly and move along the whole fender to avoid the heat that it could take the same amount of time overall and just be a bit more elbow grease. Cut off tool is probably the best. Remember to mask off any angle that you can throw spark at your paint or anything else you don't want to get ruined. Grinding dust won't come off easy no matter where it embeds itself.

Jim Nilsen

vanzuuk1
09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
is it worth putting door edge molding on the lip to clean it up? It shouldnt be visible.