PDA

View Full Version : Can ride tech's triangulated 4 link handle this build?

d.c.
09-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi Guys,
**All my research keeps pointing me in ride techs direction on this. The project is a 53 buick special which will come in at about 4000+lbs. Not a typical pro touring ride but i just love that era of car, and I want to make it handle as best I can. The reviews of ride techs products have all been very positive, so I am looking at their weld in universal four link. The estimated engine output will be in the 600hp range. So we have a very heavy car, with some respectable power, and a mini tub in the works to make room for some wide tires. What are the opinions on this rear suspension being able to handle this?
Thanks

Schwartz Performance
09-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Any 4 link can handle the power you're talking about. We put 1040hp to the ground on one of our shop cars with a tri-4 link. As long as the brackets are solidly welded to the rear end you will be in good shape.
-Dale

bret
09-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Hi Guys,
**All my research keeps pointing me in ride techs direction on this. The project is a 53 buick special which will come in at about 4000+lbs. Not a typical pro touring ride but i just love that era of car, and I want to make it handle as best I can. The reviews of ride techs products have all been very positive, so I am looking at their weld in universal four link. The estimated engine output will be in the 600hp range. So we have a very heavy car, with some respectable power, and a mini tub in the works to make room for some wide tires. What are the opinions on this rear suspension being able to handle this?
Thanks

We've installed this particular triangulated rear suspension in some very heavy cars with more horsepower than you are suggesting with nice results. While horsepower is perceived to induce stress on a rear suspension, in reality it is the resistance to the horsepower and torque [in the form of traction] that will stress the links.
The other thing that can induce suspension stress is side loading...as in the loading you might see while on a autocross or road course lap. Again, we've used this suspension in some heavy cars with great results. In 18 years, I've yet to see a bent bar or bracket. That doesn't neccessarily mean that I won't see one this afternoon...but history is on my side.

Keep in mind that with the triangulated archetechture, you are spreading the lateral loading across 2 links and a wide crossection of the vehicle. In addition, no matter which way you are turning one of those links is always in tension [the strongest plane]. With a panhard bar you are loading the suspension at one point and the bar is always in either tension or compression. It's rarely a problem because most panhard bars [and their mounts] are overbuilt so they survive nicely.

If you are truly concerned with the weight and horsepower capability, we do offer a HD 4 link that is used on a 1 ton dually. The bars are 1.5" 219" wall DOM. This is what we use under our dually that pulls a 48 ft trailer. I've also autocrossed this truck with good success :) http://www.ridetech.com/tv/2012/03/ridetech-dually-autocross-at-goodguys-pleasanton-2012/

d.c.
09-10-2013, 04:33 PM
O.K., thanks guys. This has pretty much made the decision for me. Ride tech it is.*