PDA

View Full Version : LS1 in a 67 GTO?

2002z28ssconv
09-08-2004, 01:14 AM
My first post here. :icon996:

I have a 67 GTO that's been sitting in the garage acting like a shelf for way too many years now. I just found out that the 2005 HotRod Power Tour is gonna end in my home town. Since the 2003 Tour was such a blast in my Camaro SS I want to get the GTO back on the road for the 2005 show. (We all know this is just an excuse to get the GTO back on the street - lol All goals need a time frame. :cheers: ) Anyway, I've been so impressed with the LS1 so far that I want to throw one into the Goat. I've seen it done before but need to find out where I can buy the adapters I'll need to mount the motor & trans. I'm planning on getting a wrecked Z28 for all the other misc parts that I'll need. I don't really want to fabricate the brackets and crossmember myself.

I'm thinking, LS1/4l60E/273-323 gear. I'll leave it stock for the most part. I'm not building a race car - more of a dependable project that can be driven frequently and keep the gas mileage as good as possible.

One specific question I have concerns the computer. What will I have to do programming-wise to avoid trouble codes associated with air bags and antilock brakes?

TitoJones
09-08-2004, 02:07 AM
Please do it!! With the new GTO's having the LS1, you could make a great themed engine compartment with the GTO coil covers.

I will be selling engine mounts to adapt the old 3 bolt engine mounts to the LS1 engine block. Street and Performance also has a bunch of parts that would help in your swap, but they are too street rod for my tastes.

You may want to have the Admins or Mods move this topic to engine tech, since this is for rear end and gear questions. You may get more hits there too.

Good luck, and let us know how to help.
Tyler
PS- Check www.LS1tech.com (http://www.ls1tech.com/) under the hybrid section. There is hours of great reading, and the members there have the widest range of LS1 swap cars I've ever seen. There are a few guys doing them in the same year 'Velle as your GTO. Should be the same stuff as them. Have a look.

Added- The computer will need a re-flash, but not for the reasons you posted. The ABS and Airbags are run from seperate modules. You will have more issues with o2 sensors and EGR than an ABS fault.