PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood 10mm x 1.5 Banjo to 3/16 Brake Line

jtwoods4
09-08-2013, 01:27 PM
I am a little confused. I have a 1970 Trans Am and the rear brake lines that attach to the left and right brakes are 3/16 lines with the standard invert flare 3/8 connectors. I have a set of wildwood disc brakes (D154) that require a banjo fitting with a 10mm x 1.5 thread. My stock brake lines run down the axle housing to the left and right brake.

If I order the wildwood flex line kit with Banjo fittings then I am stuck with about a foot of flex line. My hard lines already run the length of the axle housing to the brake calipers. What kind of adapter kit do I need in order to connected the inverted flare on the hard line to the 10mm x 1.5 calipers?

Or do I just need to get some really short 3/16 lines and connect them to the flex lines about half way down the axle tubes. Why would I want a flex line running down my axle tube instead of a stainless steel hard line. I am so confused on how to set this up.

Here is a picture of my existing line setup (not my car but you get the idea)

-John

todd8525
09-08-2013, 03:06 PM
the flex lines are designed to run from your frame to the calipers.if you wishremove your rubber flex line add a metering block or spitter run the brake lines allong the floor to the frame then you flex lines.(refer to an older mid to late seventies corvette.)

jtwoods4
09-09-2013, 04:23 AM
Since I am running hard lines down the axle I think I am just going to cut the hard lines a little shorter, re-flare them, and then attach the flex lines.

Maybe something like this. What do you think?

Apogee
09-09-2013, 06:59 AM
You need the flex line so that the caliper can float, since it must do so to function properly and account for pad wear. Shorten your hard lines 6" to 9" from the end of the housing, weld/clamp/bolt an anchor bracket to the tube or suspension brackets, and run a flex hose between the caliper and the hard line, it's as simple as that.

Tobin
KORE3

dipren443
09-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Since I am running hard lines down the axle I think I am just going to cut the hard lines a little shorter, re-flare them, and then attach the flex lines.

Maybe something like this. What do you think?

Hey, that is my picture!!!

Skip Fix
09-09-2013, 11:25 AM
GM used hard line on the 79-81 rear floating calipers but had a big loop in them so they could float-so hard lines to floating can work. They are hard to remove calipers on so I would cut them re double flare(get a good tool!) and use the flex lines. You can get tabs to either weld on or use a hose clamp on the axle tube from Speedway. Or get one of the line companies to custom shorten and flair for you.

I just made new lines copying the factory routing then the tabs on the Camaro as it has a D154 metric caliper on a TA rear bracket.