PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some safety glasses...

mitch_04
09-03-2013, 06:39 PM
I was hoping someone could let me know what works for them. I'd like clear lenses that are replaceable and seal around the eyes. If they had lights or the option of tinted lenses, those would be bonuses.

I received a pair of Miller grinding glasses free with my Elite helmet (awesome, by the way) and really like them except they are tinted. Tinted is great, but not always necessary and kind of annoying sometimes.

Anyone have any recommendations?

edog1
09-03-2013, 07:36 PM
I know you were asking about safety glasses but for grinding I like to use the Uvex Bionic Face Shield in addition to safety glasses. They came in a variety of shades and lenses choices. I suffered a minor eye injury while wearing safety glasses so im overly cautious now.

mitch_04
09-04-2013, 04:56 AM
I had some stuff get in my eye, when grinding, around a welding helmet...not quite sure how that happened. I use the safety glass even when I'm sanding body filler and primer, keeps the dust out of my eyes.

MIKE67
09-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Second on the Uvex Bionic Face Shield. It is light and has a great field of view. Sometimes I think I left it in the up position while I am working and have to check if it is down.
Being "mature", I also have a couple of pairs of ELVEX RX 200 safety glasses that have a bi-focal lens. Amazon also has 3M Readers and Dewalt has some that are clear or tinted. I got tired of swapping my readers and safety glasses back and forth.

Ron Sutton
09-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey Mitch,

Which style Miller Elite helmet did you get?

Motorcitydak
09-04-2013, 09:09 AM
I also have had metal get into my eyes. Twice now I have ended up at an eye doctor to get pieces dug out of my eye. It is not fun and I never plan on doing it again. The second time I had safety glasses on. I use just some simple MSA clear glasses but they do not seal to the face with anything other than their shape. I usually push them close up to my face then put on my ear muffs. I have been wanting one of those bionic shields. Are they in the way at all when using ear muffs as well?

mitch_04
09-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Ron, my helmet is the Miller Digital Elite in the vintage roadster theme.

Yesterday I went to get the piece out of my eye. It was sandblasting slag, and it had rusted. My small town (1300 people) doctor didn't feel comfortable grinding the rust out, so she sent me to a local "city" (10,000 people, one hour away) doctor to do the work. Not the most comfortable thing I've had done, but it gave me a good reason to go to South Dakota's biggest city (150,000 and 2 hours away) to pick up some things for the garage and see a friend.

I will look into the mask, but I would still prefer to have a nice set of glasses around. My daily work I just slip them on and off occasionally depending on what I'm doing, they aren't on constantly. For the body work I could understand the shield.

MIKE67
09-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Steve, the Bionic Face Shield can interfere with ear muffs sometimes. I just let the headband hang down in front of my neck. Muffs are easier with safety glasses, but the muffs don't seal as well with glasses and let in more noise. Ear plugs wouldn't interfere at all.

Jim Nilsen
09-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I have been on safety committees for 30 years and" Uvex "is hands down the best eye gear you can buy. There are so many styles it will have you confused as to what you want and can afford. They are not cheap but well worth it in comfort and optical clarity.