PDA

View Full Version : Front sway bar is bugging me

UNBROKEN
09-01-2013, 08:24 PM
I know the bar ends should be parallel with the lower control arm...but how bad does it affect things if that's just not possible?

The ends face rearward and point upwards. I can't move the frame mounts up any higher and I've already made the end links as short as I possibly can. For it to be parallel the bar would occupy the same space as the rack and pinion parts/tie rods/etc. I haven't measure but I'd guess that in a 9-10" span the ends are up about 2-2.5".

For the rear bar I made adjustable end links with heims and have it parallel to the ground....this front bar bugs the hell out of me though. Is it really a big deal?

Schwartz Performance
09-01-2013, 10:19 PM
As long as the end links are as vertical as possible you shouldn't have an issue. Lots of late model cars have funky bends that aren't parallel with the LCA- but the end links are perpendicular so it doesn't put awkward tension on the ends of the bar.
-Dale

UNBROKEN
09-02-2013, 11:25 AM
I had to go double check...the links do look the way you describe as OK.

rentedmule
09-02-2013, 03:28 PM
FWIW shortening the end links to bring the ends of sway bar down made a huge difference on my truck. I had to readjust my driving style considerably the first auto-X I tried it at. You should judge based on performance; if the bar is adequate as is than you don't need to mess with it any more.

I'm not sure what style of end links you have (axial ball joint or regular bushings/spacer like mine) but I managed to take another 0.5" out of mine by cutting 1/4" off of each of the bushings. There was still plenty left to avoid metal-on-metal contact.

UNBROKEN
09-02-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm maxed out on room now. The bar is within 1/2" of the tie rods...I don't wanna push it.
I really wish I could do something with the damned tie rods...the bump steer is terrible.