PDA

View Full Version : MOOG offset control arm shaft for 69 camaro- longer than stock ?

Baltoborn
08-31-2013, 11:40 AM
I ordered and received a set of MOOG K5250 offset upper control arm shafts. The original shafts in the car are 11 1\2 in long and have a locking " bolt " that threads in the female threaded end of the shaft. The replacement MOOG control arm shafts are 13 1\2 in long and have " nut " fasteners on the end, the end is male threaded. It appears as though the shafts are too long to insert in the control arm even after it is removed. Is this just in appearance or is there something I am missing. If anyone has installed the MOOG K5250 on their 69 camaro, please advise.

Thanks
Baltoborn ( 69 z-11 pace car )

First Bird
08-31-2013, 12:56 PM
68 Firebird work for you? I installed Herb Adams steel/nylon bushings on my stock UCA's. Used Moog offset UCA shafts and had no issues. Flipped them for increased neg camber. On one side the shaft says "engine side" - mounted that wheel side. Only needed 2 to 3 shims to get a performance alignment. This was two years ago so I'm trying to remember the sequence. I pressed the bearings on. It was a small puzzle but it wasn't hard to figure out. Btw I drilled the shaft ends to accept cotter pins. Was tired of the bolts backing out of the shaft.

Baltoborn
09-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks,
visually it does not look like the longer shaft will " thread " into the control arm, it needs to insert from the inside
of the arm. Place the shaft inside the arm, then press the bushings on, is that correct? The longer arm with the threaded ends does look quite a bit stronger and I like the idea of drilling the end and installing carriage nuts.

MrQuick
09-01-2013, 08:19 PM
what bushing kit are you running?

I usually use energy suspension and what I do it push out the poly bushing and press the shells in about half way then slide the cross shaft in and press the shells in all the way, then push the poly bushings in.

First Bird
09-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Baltoborn-
Yep. That sounds like the sequence. shaft in first then press bushings onto arm. I have a press. I keep several diameters/lengths of pipe to press bushings. I'm recalling using these to press bushing and not shaft.

Baltoborn
09-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks,
by placing the shaft inside the arm then pressing the bushings on worked well. Used carrier bolts
and drilled the ends for pin set.

Off to the alingnment rack !