PDA

View Full Version : Headers for firebird second generation!?

Ripper
08-29-2005, 12:03 PM
realised today that the headers I bought last year wont fit my firebird.

My car is a Firebird 74 and the engine is a 400 Pontiac...
the headers I bought are Hooker Super Competition (bought them used) and they wont fit. I suspect that they are 1 gen heads.

Since I need to buy new heads, I could use a little help - what manufactures can you guys recommend? I remember someone talked about some kind of heads, specially made for 2nd gen pontiacs (think it was yody, not sure though..). Perhaps you guys can help me?

The engine produces 550-600 HP @ 6000+ rpm. I want coated (or titanium.... or inconel!!!!! yeah right..).. How much can I get for 800 bucks or so?

Pics of the engine and headers:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Second port (from right counted) interfere with the subframe...
I could move the enigne back 3" and notch the frame... But it's alot of work for making the headers fit.. (I will move the enigne back in the future but I really don't wan't to do it because of this..)

MrQuick
08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi Anders

Are you getting new heads or headers...or both? I think you can modify the one tube? Thats one reason I don't like ponchos.

Ripper
08-29-2005, 10:19 PM
That's not reason enough for not liking ponchos! ;)

The problem is that I'll need to modify at least two of the tubes, and since I still don't know about ground clearance (since I can't try them...)...

It's probably safer to buy headers for the right app.
I googled a couple of hours yesterday and found these: http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthread.php?t=380766&page=1&pp=20&highlight=tri+headers

I haven't studied the pictures very closely, but spontaneous I think the secondaries look too small...

yody
08-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Edit, i see you already found performance years, definetly buy new ones

Ripper
08-30-2005, 11:21 PM
yep. do you know anyone using them?

wick
08-31-2005, 03:35 AM
I've seen two sets of these tri-y headers and they are nice.

Roadrage David
09-01-2005, 02:28 PM
tri y headers have the best fit and ground clearens unfortunatly Ron who is fabricating them is about a year behind on people who orderd them . i got a pair for my frinds 71 formula . then there is dougs headers and the ones i got from indian adventure these are awesome headers as every primary comes loos and instals without taking engine stuf out . have them coated at termal tech in verginia they are umongst the best out there .final comend on the disliking poncho engine guy mr quik lololol.gues your not up to date about the injun engines in general . mever heard of the TIGER HEADS flowing 400 cfm out of the box and the indian adventureII iron and aluminium aftermarket injun blocks not to speak about the new kaufman alu heads(shown above) and the kaufman MR1 block all 3 blocks can be bored /stoked to 600 cubes and the tiger heads are as good if not beter as the big block dart race heads . the gab with bbc chevy,s hase just been closed !!!!!!!!!

yody
09-01-2005, 08:16 PM
oh great, here we go again, the pontiac crusader is back! well to avoid arguing with this "pontiac guru" even though there are plenty of BBC heads that flow over 400cfm out of the box(AFR 335CNC's flow more than that) and plenty of aftermarket blocks that allow up to a 632 motor for a BBC, also 400cfm is barely enough for a 632" motor that is almost choking a motor like that. Anyways the indian adventures headers are nice but my friend has them on his first gen, and they hang down SUPER LOW!! No ground clearance with those headers, they do come in like three different pieces which is nice. Maybe you could make your own designed after those pictures, those are really killer!

wick
09-02-2005, 06:12 AM
What's your problem, Yody? Just because you don't know how to make power with a Pontiac doesn't mean you have to knock others that do.

I think Dave said 400cfm out of the box which is very good. Don't you have some header issues to sort out because you didn't think and cut your springs too much?

yody
09-02-2005, 09:15 AM
No problem, it goes back before you were ever a member here, don't worry about it. No my springs and headers are just fine now. Also i had a pefectly strong running 400 before went to 6,000rpm daily with a pretty much stock bottom end.

MrQuick
09-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Yody, next time use the "inside joke" smiley to avoid the sensitive critisism. I just hope David has a better sense of humor! LOL j/k

yody
09-02-2005, 10:06 AM
hey don't blame me, your the one who started it, wheres your smileys?

Roadrage David
09-02-2005, 11:17 PM
oh great, here we go again, the pontiac crusader is back! well to avoid arguing with this "pontiac guru" even though there are plenty of BBC heads that flow over 400cfm out of the box(AFR 335CNC's flow more than that) and plenty of aftermarket blocks that allow up to a 632 motor for a BBC, also 400cfm is barely enough for a 632" motor that is almost choking a motor like that. Anyways the indian adventures headers are nice but my friend has them on his first gen, and they hang down SUPER LOW!! No ground clearance with those headers, they do come in like three different pieces which is nice. Maybe you could make your own designed after those pictures, those are really killer!
.............. Yody your a funny guy lolol . i was kinda resirved about the heads and blocks!!!!! the blocks can go as big as what you mentiond above . flowing 400 cfm out of the box thusend say there isend plenty of meat left to be ported to flow even bigger then bbc heads thuse it !! . i got my info from a 58 year old engine builder who was raceing and building egines sins the late 60,s the guy repair build tuned up more then 2600 engines in his life of every brand . are you ore me who are fooling around with some engines in life argue with that!! dont thingk so . . if this man sais the performance gab hase been closed with bbc then the gab hase been closed . he compeard the Tiger heads with the dart race pro heads . Yody you have a great car to say the least, and most defenatly a great engine . lots of people who dont know and i dont meen you specifecaly put a chevy power plant in there poncho, because they thingk its cheaper and ore beter ore makes more power, witch it thuse not!. (and on the street ore on the race cirquit the bbc hase a defenat disadvantige , but thats another subject) ... as soon as you go over 500 hp the price is the same . it makes me sad indeed to see this happening , but its there and your choice to drive in it not me . fortunatly more and more afthermarket parts arive in the poncho seen , and becuase of that pontiac power plants are on the rize again lets keep it at that .. ok about the indian adventure headers for first gen . here is a pic of mine again , and as you can see no clearens issue here!! subframe frame alredy dropt 2 inches , so your frind did something wrong i gues . doug headers have the best ground clearens for pontiac together with the tri y headers as mentiond before . the indian adventure headers are the best lookers and performers .............peace!!!

yody
09-03-2005, 07:37 AM
thats cool, I know pontiacs can make some serious power and are getting even better. My friend had got 2 sets of the indian adventure 2" primary 3 piece headers both sets hung way low, this is on a stock 68 firebird, not sure about second gens. Haven't seen the doug headers in person but heard they are prtyy good

wick
09-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Yody, have your buddy check the part numbers on those headers and it they are second gen let me know. I need a set for my project if he wants to part with them.

Roadrage David
09-03-2005, 03:53 PM
ps yody im not sure if you notised ore understand but the picture above is from my 68 firebird with the indian adventure headers 2 inch primarys 3 1/2 colectors ... thats why its strange your frind had a clearens problem ...

yody
09-03-2005, 05:32 PM
well I was the one who installed the headers so I am 100% sure of what they are and how they installed. The picture you have looks nice but doesnj't really show where they sit, take another pic from the side so we can see where the header collector is compared to the frame rail

wick
09-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Yody, why did he buy two sets? D port and round port?

yody
09-03-2005, 06:25 PM
because he saw how low his sat, and at the time the guy was having money grow out of his ears, he figured they were eventually going to be toast and at the time they were the only company that had o port headers for first gen

Roadrage David
09-04-2005, 11:03 AM
i can not take pic at this momend , the car is 2 hours away from me , but my clearens is about 5 inches .enoughf for me lolol

Ripper
09-09-2005, 11:48 AM
I've been out of town, working a couple of days now and haven't been able to surf the web...

The thing is that I can only find IA headers for first gen firebird, not for the second...
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4716958DD198651-Headers-Accy.aspx

WS6
09-25-2005, 06:56 PM
you might want to double check with ron(tunnleport) he had a couple weeks ago a surplus of metal to make these headers and was selling the "extras" for like $50 off. i believe he has also gotten his lead time down considerably since he finally got the correct metal for the headers. he had a lot of problems with the metal he was trying to use and the metal company said its the bender. the bender company said it was the metal. it was the metal, but it took a while to get that straightened out. the new metal company made him buy more so thats why he has "extras" to make. good luck.