PDA

View Full Version : Would an electric water pump overload the system?

powermetal
08-29-2005, 09:42 AM
I have a '69 Camaro with an LS1 and the stock Corvette alternator. I don't have any fancy electronics in the car, not even a radio. The engine harness is stock and everything else is a Painless harness. I'm thinking about adding an electric water pump. Do you think that would be too much for the system to handle? I can hear the electric water pump change it's pitch when the brake or headlights come on, indicating that it is slightly slowing down. I was just wondering if the addition of another electric device would draw too much power and maybe shorten the life of the alternator.

Thanks for any advice!

Steve

gmachinz
08-29-2005, 03:19 PM
If it changes pitch when you turn on your lights, it tells me you have too much voltage drop (improper gauge size, too long of a wire, etc.) or the alternator can't handle to inrush of electrical load. Whether you actually need an electric water pump for the street is up for debate but it sounds as though you have some wiring problems. How do you have it wired/activated? Is it a relay, progressive control-what? -Jabin