PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss seatbelts/harnesses

Slick68
08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
OK, I'm posting this in the truck section, because I mainly want to discuss this for truck applications. I know seatbelt/harness systems are still similar between cars and trucks, but I want to keep it to what works in a truck.

Currently, I have a stock style bench with lap belts in my 68. I know this isn't the ideal safety equipment for autocross use, but it's what I have for now. I've been paying attention to belt systems at different events I've been to. I've noticed a lot of guys still running bench seats with 4-point harnesses. I'd like to know how an where they're mounting them. I'd also like to know if this is a really safe alternative. What little bit of info I've been able to uncover about harness installation is the shoulder straps should be mounted slightly above shoulder height. This is to keep the straps from pulling down on your shoulders and putting pressure on your spine possibly causing more severe issues during a collision. I have a particular interest in this due to the fact that I'm 6'4" tall and my shoulders sit rather high from the top of my bench seat. As important as it is to keep my big butt planted during cornering, I also want to make sure my restraint system is safe.

Next, the 67-72 Chevy trucks are compatible to install a 3 point belt system. How well does a 3-point system work compared to a 4 or 5-point harness? Or are they simply an apples to oranges comparison?

Lastly, what are DOT regulations concerning aftermarket restraint systems?

Now, I understand that to correctly install a harness, a roll bar system and high back seats are technically required, but that simply won't fit into budget right now, and I'm still on the fence if I want to go that route with the truck at this time. I mainly want to know if it's worth the effort to install a harness system with a bench seat or just install a 3-point system until I decide which direction to take the truck next. I also want to discuss this for others with similar questions.

bovey
08-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Does your '68 have the reinforced shoulder strap bolt hole? My '71 does, but I'm not sure what year that option started.

GEARBOXGARAGE
08-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Matt,

I'm currently in the same thought process as you. I had my bench redone with some mild contouring to help with cornering forces, although it won't hold you in place like side bolsters on a bucket, it should be better than a flat, stock bench. I have a new "bolt in" set of 3-point factory style belts, but would like to go with at least a 4-point, something like this, Corbeau: 2-Inch Harness Belts (http://corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_harness_belts/) . I kept the bench due to the fact that my truck will be all-purpose, and to keep enough seating for the family, but may opt for buckets some day. I'm 6'1", so my shoulders are also a bit above the back rest and had similar concerns as what you have pointed out... Looking at the Roadster Shop C10, they are using a factory-style bucket, which looks about the same height as a bench, but from the pics I've seen of the interior, they don't have any bars in place to mount harnesses.

Any one out there with some recommendations???

Thanks,

Mike

Slick68
08-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Does your '68 have the reinforced shoulder strap bolt hole? My '71 does, but I'm not sure what year that option started.

Yes, mine has the reinforced lug for a 3-point belt. I'm pretty sure all 67-72's have them. 1968 is when a lot of other safety issues were addressed, so that may possibly be the first year for these. Someone with a 67 will need to chime in for that.

Matt,

I'm currently in the same thought process as you. I had my bench redone with some mild contouring to help with cornering forces, although it won't hold you in place like side bolsters on a bucket, it should be better than a flat, stock bench. I have a new "bolt in" set of 3-point factory style belts, but would like to go with at least a 4-point, something like this, Corbeau: 2-Inch Harness Belts (http://corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_harness_belts/) . I kept the bench due to the fact that my truck will be all-purpose, and to keep enough seating for the family, but may opt for buckets some day. I'm 6'1", so my shoulders are also a bit above the back rest and had similar concerns as what you have pointed out... Looking at the Roadster Shop C10, they are using a factory-style bucket, which looks about the same height as a bench, but from the pics I've seen of the interior, they don't have any bars in place to mount harnesses.

Any one out there with some recommendations???

Thanks,

Mike

My bench has some slight bolsters, even though they tend to be more for looks than actually keeping one firmly in place.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/08/007-3.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Slick68/media/My%2068/007.jpg.html)

Below is a shot of how high I ride in the saddle.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/08/IMG_8222_zps2cda86c6-1.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Slick68/media/Car%20shows/HRPT%202013/IMG_8222_zps2cda86c6.jpg.html)

protouring70
08-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Hey guys...I have seen in some trucks like ours with a roll bar that runs on the outer contour of the bench seat and has anchors to attatch the harness to. Not sure how they mounted it to the floor for the ridgid support needed. But this setup was in Air Rides truck. It held me in very well on a ride along.

protouring70
08-27-2013, 05:37 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Bad pic but may look like this. It would go behind or along top of seat

Slick68
08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
This article is pretty good.

Corbeau Racing Seat Install - Classic Trucks Magazine (http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/1302clt_corbeau_race_seat/)

Slick68
08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Edit- double post.

GEARBOXGARAGE
08-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Oh, yes, I remember this article... Wes did a nice job with that. I'm thinking of doing something similar.

67dubcab
08-29-2013, 04:41 PM
I have long got rid of my stock bench seats and replaced them with a used pair of leather Porsche buckets. My truck did not come with shoulder belts so I put some in (three point). Much improved for safety, and having a head rest for me is a must have, in my double cab I don't even have the back glass to slow down a impact.
Now that I have a cage I am going to a four point harness system.
You need a harness bar or shoulder guides to do this safely, I am running Recaro srd seats and still need to weld in a shoulder harness tube so the attachment is at the correct height.
I am going with Schroth four point clubman belts, the Scroth web site also has alot of info on correct mounting.

GEARBOXGARAGE
08-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Double cab P.T. Truck!? Dude, you've got to share some pics!!!

67dubcab
09-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Mike,
I have a few pictures on this forum, in the intro to pro-touring truck thread, and a build thread on The Samba v.w. site and Pelican Parts Porsche site.
If you search "Porsche powered mid-engine double cab" my build will pop up, as there are not too many other ones like it.

Back to seat belts, I knew I would eventually end up with a harness system as the performance increases make it almost mandatory.
I also use my truck as my daily shop truck so it needed to be practical in that context, the Recaro srd are very tight but after a bit you get used to being "snuggled" a week after I put them in and they are the new normal.
Schroth sell a "safe" version of a four point street belt and have a simple snap buckle version to keep it easy to buckle, I have had a car with the racing buckle and the cool factor runs out after the first few clicks then gets tedious.
I also see the need most have to keep the bench seat in play for extra passenger action and wonder if some trucks could slide the bench out and have a pair of seat tracks under to accept a single racing fixed back seat with the harness system with the snap in ends. It is not reccamended to run a shoulder harness without a roll bar so that should be part of the plan.

67dubcab
11-03-2013, 09:54 PM
I installed my front four point harnesses, the quality is excellent and they are made in Germany.

Mo's1969
06-29-2014, 10:22 AM
I installed my front four point harnesses, the quality is excellent and they are made in Germany.

Hey little brother. Nice work but I need to get those seats for 69 Mustang

Mike