PDA

View Full Version : Rear Carrier Change Question

69*Goat
08-18-2013, 04:48 AM
I need to change the rear end carrier in my G.M. 8.5 10-Bolt. I am not changing the gear, only the carrier. Should I take it to a shop, or is this something I can do in my garage. Does pinion lash have to be reset, or anything like that have to be done?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Motorcitydak
08-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Does that axle have a drop out 3rd member(like a Ford 9 inch)? I do not remember correctly but I do not think it does. If you are taking apart an axle, it at least needs to be checked. A new differential carrier will not be exactly the same as your old one. Are you swapping to a limited slip or locker? You could save yourself some money by taking everything apart and taking it to a shop and have them reassemble it

sam 74
08-18-2013, 02:27 PM
you'll need to reshim the carrier, the pinion should be ok. if you have the tools and ability to do it yourself then why take it somewhere, if you don't then its best to have it done at a shop, gear whine and premature failure isn't worth the gamble to me.

69*Goat
08-18-2013, 03:09 PM
you'll need to reshim the carrier, the pinion should be ok. if you have the tools and ability to do it yourself then why take it somewhere, if you don't then its best to have it done at a shop, gear whine and premature failure isn't worth the gamble to me.

Thanks Sam.

I have the tools(that's the dangerous part). As far as ability, I know just enough to get into trouble. I have heard that All Carriers are different even changing like for like. So I am guessing that shims on one will be different on another.

@ Motorcity: the G.M. 8.5, is not like the Ford 9". On the Ford you pull the whole "Chunk" as 1 assembly, you can't do that on a G.M.

Zspoiler
08-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Then I would take to a shop. It would be a lot safer to do so." A man has to know his limitations " Have them check the rest of it as well. It would save you money in the long run,

sam 74
08-20-2013, 08:14 PM
the shimming is just getting the correct ring gear backlash/pattern, i can't remember the GM measurement but on my 9 inch it was between .008-.012, i had Curry originally set up my rear and they had the backlash set at .008, i had to reset because of a carrier change and i set it at .012 and i'm going to redo it to .008 because of a minor clunk when going from R to 1st. backlash is easy to set, if you have a dial indicator and a magnetic base your GTG, just look up a how to on the net and it'll walk you through the process, the 9 inch is nice because i can do everything on the bench.