PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel and Clutch Question???

usc2001gc
08-28-2005, 02:59 PM
1st. Will a 10.5" clutch (maybe Centerforce II or dualfriction or equiv.) hold up behind a MILD 402 BB, TBI with a TKO 500/ 2.73 rear (later upgrade to a 3.42 or so)?? (71 chevelle)

2nd. Would this flywheel work with the above combination??
( My main concern is weight...I read somewhere that a light-weight flywheel makes the car a little difficult to initially pull off from a stop with out spinning the tires.)

Part Number: 14085720
Manufacturer: GM Performance Parts
Diameter : 12.75"OD
Teeth : 153
Year : 1955-1985
Crank Bolt Pattern : 3.58"
Clutch Bolt Pattern : 10.4"
Weight: ~15lb

I already have the smaller bellhousing (GM 3840383), the above flywheel (new) and a new Centerforce 10.5" disc. If I can keep my cost down and use the parts I already have, I can justify ordering the TKO to my wife. :attn:

GMJim
08-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Eric
First of all you can use an 11" clutch with that 153 tooth flywheel so you don't really need to go to the bigger 168 tooth flywheel as this will require changing the bell housing and starter. McLeod makes this clutch. Secondly the flywheel weight. There are many different opinions on this subject so be prepared to hear lots of different ones. A heavier flywheel has more rotating mass. The car will idle smoother and taking off from a stop is easier with a heavier car. Quarter mile times have been proven to be better with a heavier flywheel. (just ask Centerforce tech as they recommend as much as a 50 lb. flywheel for a 3200 lb car) They told me they have done extensive testing with Mustangs and get better results at the drag strip with the heavier wheel. A lighter flywheel is better suited for road racing where getting quick rpm increases to get out of a corner is important. Many GM cars such as Corvette, Camaro and Firebird came stock with a light weight flywheel. That was until the dual mass flywheel came along. Having said all that your 402 should have enough to get you going without any trouble. There are lots of guys using them. The only time a heavier flywheel is an advantage is for drag racing or if your gearing isn't low enough to move the car from a stop without feathering the gas. You should be fine.
As far as the wife and the TKO goes, I have a policy I live by. "It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than to ask for permission"