PDA

View Full Version : Basic steps for paint...

bs46488
08-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Been searching for the last 30 mins and couldn't find any similar posts.

I've been slowly stripping about 6 paint jobs off my car. After I stripped each panel, I put a slight layer of rattle can primer. I've cut out the major rust areas and welded in some patch panels, etc. Now I'm ready to start "prepping for paint". Is this the general process I should follow?

1. DA sand off rattle can primer
2. Epoxy primer
3. Body work/filler
4. 2k poly filler primer
5. block sand and repeat
6. base coat (color)
7. clear coat
8. cut and buff

I'm not looking for any show quality paint, I'd be happy with a 20 footer or better.

Rod
08-14-2013, 02:26 PM
1. DA sand off rattle can primer
2. Epoxy primer
3. Body work/filler
4. 2k poly filler primer
5. block sand and repeat, 2k poly filler primer, block sand and repeat, 2k poly filler primer, block sand and repeat, 2k poly filler primer, block sand and repeat
6. base coat (color)
7. clear coat
8. cut and buff

I'm not looking for any show quality paint, I'd be happy with a 20 footer or better.

that order looks correct, I just added a little

Jetfixr320
08-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Paint and body guy that assisted me and answered questions via the internet, recommended to my to do a panel at a time. Get it to High build, spray a SEM guide coat over the high build. Move to the next panel.

When all your panels are in High build with guide coat. Block sand with 220. 3M powder guide coat and block sand with 400. I used Evercoat products, their Metal glaze was nice and dried fast. You can save some money using the Glaze verse more high build.

3 coats of High build, let it dry, block again as needed.

I didn't wet sand, I didn't want the mess in my garage from that, or in the car.

snappytravis
08-18-2013, 05:35 PM
You can also use black rattle can for guide coat. Just mist it on from a few feet away. Probably one important thing is to read the p-sheets on the products that you are using, (product data sheet) for flash time, dry time, and recoat times. air pressure and recommended size for your fluid tip on your paint gun, 1,0-1.6 or whatever it may be. Just a few ideas.

Jetfixr320
08-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Yes, Def read the tech sheets!