PDA

View Full Version : Steer Clear unit

V8VW
08-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Does anyone have, or has used, a Steer Clear unit? If so, what are the pros and cons? Besides the price, what type of value for the money?

dontlifttoshift
08-14-2013, 03:24 AM
I have one in the roadster. Does everything it is supposed to do.

In my case it prevented a bunch of really tight u-joint angles and allowed for better column placement. It does use up a lot of space but is pretty easy to mount if you plan ahead. The steer clear isn't something I would want to try and mount in a finished car. I think it is worth every penny.

There are gear drive versions out there as well, stay away from those. All gears have lash in them and you can never get them tight enough.

V8VW
08-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Thanks Donny,

So, is yours a chain drive? No lash with that? What about placement near headers/exhaust? I will be starting work, in the near future, on my firewall on my V8 powered Volkswagen Squareback and have thought about one.

By the way, where is Beach Park, Illinois?

Tom

dontlifttoshift
08-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Very little lash. It uses a solid tensioner that will never wear out. I would try to keep it away from a heat source like headers if you could but I ended up with mine on the firewall.

Call Wizard and talk to Dave. Really cool guy. I was worried about autocrossing with and he said he has units in Bonneville cars and stadium trucks.....

Beach Park is in the North East corner of Illinois.

V8VW
08-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks again. I will be up that way next week. Only, I will be in the Northwest suburbs, Crystal Lake.

V8VW
08-14-2013, 07:59 AM
By the way. Do you have any interior pictures and how long is your steering column? That is from one end of steering shaft to the other.