PDA

View Full Version : new steering column & new Lee gear box..not aligning

precisionshootist
08-12-2013, 04:46 PM
hi folks,
wondering if i can get some help with this..i replaced the steering box in my 69 camaro with the Lee box and also purchased a rebuilt steering column from member on here..so i got it all installed.. the Lee box came wit marks on the box indicating where it was on center.so i lined that up and adjusted the ragjoint to align with column adapter..

i thought everything was connected properly until i go and make a tight right hand turn..it seems that i am missing about 1/4 of turn..in other words..with steering wheel centered i can turn steering wheel completely around one and 1/4ish to the left..when i try it on the right side i can barely get a full turn..so im missing like 1/4 worth of turn to the right side..i tried this while the car was parked...ON the road when turning into parking space (right hand turn), i sometimes dont make it and have to back up and go forward again (pain in the rear..lol)...

Also..while i am driving..the steering wheel is not on center..it is about (again) 1/4 turn to the right..so it seems like im already "using" or losing that 1/4 turn to the right, because the way its driving..
So could it be that the LEE box isnt centered where they marked it? but i dont think thats the case, because when i park and tires are straight..steering wheel is clocked 1/4 to the right..and when i looked under the hood at the box..i can tell the centering mark is about 1/4 to the right also..

I hope this somewhat makes sense to somebody and i can get some help..if i need to explain a little better, ill try..i have column out of the car right now..trying to figure this out..thanks guys..

precisionshootist
08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
here is some more info...i have the column out..and removed rag joint from the steering box..it seems like there is only one way for it to go onto the shaft on the steering box (shaft has flat top with no grooves)...

I dont think that what i am doing will make any difference..does ANYBODY have any insight on this? im trying to get it fixed tonight..but guess i can wait..thank you so much for looking..

precisionshootist
08-12-2013, 07:21 PM
alright, nevermind..i think i may have fixed the issue..i remember when i initially got the steering column, I unscrewed and rotated the adapter (i dont remember why)..and now..i clocked it into position the correct position..i read online that horn button "hole" should be in a certain position...so i did that..and now it seems i have a little over a full turn in either direction (12:1 box)..so im happy...thanks to all who looked..maybe one day somebody can use this..i know thats how i learn..thanks..

MrQuick
08-12-2013, 09:34 PM
i knew you could do it......now lets see your long distance provider.

precisionshootist
08-13-2013, 12:14 PM
like pictures? im horrible with remembering to take pics..ive done all the suspension upgrades myself and some other little things, but never took pics while doing them..ill snap a few of the car..just dont laugh..its got ALOT of work needed on it (fender alignment, qtrs replaced..etc etc..), but i can at least drive it now..and that has been a ton of fun..