PDA

View Full Version : Boxing frame

48prerunner
08-12-2013, 06:33 AM
I'm working on boxing my frame but, have not found much in my searches maybe using wrong key words. I've done street rod frames, but wondering Do I just do it the same?

So this is boxed back to the rear of the cab, I planned on going all the way to the back, running a leaf spring rear and up front is the complete cross member and suspension out of a 2006 crown vic. I have not welded it in yet waiting on engine and trans.Any thoughts or opinions will I gain anything by going all the way to the rear? 80724Maybe some x bracing on the ladder style frame? Thought about adding some cross members like

Wes.Drelleshak
08-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Boxing is a great start to fixing a otherwise flexible stock frame.

I would stop at the rear leaf spring mount if you had a cab mounted gas tank. not that you need the extra strength for the rear under bed tank but it would be a nice touch to finish it off.
I used 10g cold rolled steel to box in my truck and placed the new plate slightly in board of the frame before welding.

A fabricated K-member is as important if not more to reduce frame twist. Make sure to leave room for exhaust....

silvermonte
08-12-2013, 02:23 PM
This was something that was posted awhile back, hopefully it will give you a few ideas.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?93879-Torsional-frame-flex-reduction

48prerunner
08-12-2013, 04:15 PM
This was something that was posted awhile back, hopefully it will give you a few ideas.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?93879-Torsional-frame-flex-reduction

That was a good read, I've built a few stock cars and I've had a roll cage in two road vehicles, I don't want to put a cage in the truck, right now my goal is to take some of the twist out of the frame. As it is now you don't want to know how high you can pick one corner of the frame before the otherside starts to move. I guess I should measure before and after to see if it improves. I also want to try and get some road time in with the truck before snow flys and I start eating up my motor warranty.

I can make more improvements again this winter if I'm not happy.

My plan now is to weld all the cross members and tie them into the boxing plates will that cause any stress points, I'd have to worry about?