PDA

View Full Version : MIG or TIG

bighead
08-11-2013, 08:18 PM
I decided I'm going to install the DSE QuadraLink, mini tubs and sub frame connectors on my 65 Fastback and do it myself. I am going to purchase the Millermatic 211 MIG welder and practice awhile before I start the project. First question is it safe to MIG weld suspension parts? Second is installing something like this for a first welding project a little much? I figured it would be fun and frustrating if I take my time!!

Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks.

Schwartz Performance
08-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Yes it's safe. Just do the minitubs first so you get acquainted with the proper heat & wire feed, and you can use the grinder. As for the suspension pieces, you'll want to practice on similar thickness of steel and the same orientation.. ie butt welds, lap joints and 90* etc..
-Dale

raustinss
08-12-2013, 02:16 PM
I couldn't agree more..... you've got to think your life could be over if things go wrong.....worst case if you really don't feel 100% comfortable and confident with your work..dont do it, call a local custom fab shop or try to hook up with someone online pay them to weld your suspension components spending a little bit of cash now can saves lots later if a weld breaks and damages the car or worse yet

bighead
08-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah I agree I don't want to do it myself if it won't be safe. What will be the best way to test my welds? How do I know if I am getting good penetration? What would you guys focus on in terms of getting enough experience to install the suspension components.

Schwartz Performance
08-12-2013, 06:58 PM
YouTube and google are your friends here. Lots of great vids out there on how to weld and what to look for. Sheet metal is great to learn on but you need to take your time. You'll learn how too much heat will warp things.. Not just thin metal but thick too!
I agree with the other guy.. If you don't feel comfortable then you can hire somebody :)

Start a build thread or a tech thread and post pics bad we'll critique ya too.

bighead
08-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Once I get started I will. Thanks again for the info.

Craig510
08-12-2013, 07:30 PM
A welding cart is always a good first project, make it more complex than needed. Use tube, flat stock and sheet metal. Also, after some practice, cut your welds apart, look for penetration and voids. Try bending some and or beating it apart with a hammer. Most colleges have some sort of welding classes. If you take one, you will get at least some exposure to gas, Arc and TIG or MIG. It will give you the basics to at least know if you got a good weld.

If there is a scrap metal or good metal yard around, see if you can buy drops by the pound. Welding over head on a dirty chassis is much harder than with clean steel on the bench.

Good Luck and have fun. Once you get it figured out, you can save tons of money and know that you did it right.

Todd in Vancouver
08-12-2013, 08:06 PM
When I talked to my diff guy about my project we agreed that I'm going to tack all my brackets together and he will be doing the final welds. In my case I know I'm just not experienced enough to do the welds that really matter. Also, while my diff is in the jig getting shortened he can make sure it is perfectly square. If I screw up my mini-tub weld its nothing that a grinder and some seam sealer can't fix but the suspension needs to be solid. Not sure if you can find a local guy to do the same but I would guess there are lots of quality guys out there who could help you out for a few bucks.

bighead
08-12-2013, 08:23 PM
When I talked to my diff guy about my project we agreed that I'm going to tack all my brackets together and he will be doing the final welds. In my case I know I'm just not experienced enough to do the welds that really matter. Also, while my diff is in the jig getting shortened he can make sure it is perfectly square. If I screw up my mini-tub weld its nothing that a grinder and some seam sealer can't fix but the suspension needs to be solid. Not sure if you can find a local guy to do the same but I would guess there are lots of quality guys out there who could help you out for a few bucks.

I like your idea. I can do all the cutting and tacking the parts together and hire someone else to weld it up right and tight. I wish I had thought of that. LOL! I live in the DFW area so I know there is someone out there that can do that for me.

raustinss
08-13-2013, 04:21 PM
It's a great idea to just fit the parts and pay someone to do the final welding...who knows they might even let you do it with they're guidance and setting up the equipment. it would save one the $$$ to just get someone to weld it and you clean up the welds and scrape off the splatter. Again best of luck
Ryan

Tom Vogel
10-02-2013, 05:37 AM
If you have a local junior college, some night classes in welding will do you a wonder of help. Its almost free and you will learn to actually do it correctly.

SShep71
10-02-2013, 01:13 PM
^seconds, and thirds on the local community college. Learn for next to nothing, use their tools and consumables, and support the school while you are at it.

j-c-c
11-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Since you asked for suggestions:

1. TIG offers little advantage in your project, so MIg is the better choice
2. You are getting the smallest preferrred size machine, most try the 110V stuff and a big mistake IMO
3. Is it possible you can quickly gain the skills to get a good, safe, presentable first weld job, not likely, but it is possible, but you need to start somewhere
4. From my experience, MIG is easy to weld, but difficult to get machine on right setting(s),
5. In suspension stuff, penetration is king, and on most heavy pieces, its very difficult to get initial penetration.
6. Gun angle has a big impact on all welds
7. USe a mix gas of argon/CO2
8. Good looks does not guarantee a good strong weld.
9. Proper Weld joint prep is important, vi joints, tight fitment, clean metal, etc

Auto Rod Technologies
11-22-2013, 06:18 PM
It's a great idea to just fit the parts and pay someone to do the final welding...who knows they might even let you do it with they're guidance and setting up the equipment. it would save one the $$$ to just get someone to weld it and you clean up the welds and scrape off the splatter. Again best of luck
Ryan

Thats a really good idea, and if you have a welder on location I'm sure someone would come to you to do the final welding.

I prefer tig welding on just about anything other than a spot weld, but I would suggest to start you're learning curve with a Mig welder.

d-man7
02-04-2014, 12:27 PM
If you have a lot of practice and skill, TIG welding is more precise. I bought a TIG welder from Longevity at www.longevity-inc.com so the price was very affordable. You can check them out. They also have MIG welders at low prices. So it depends, for TIG its precise for easy welding chose mig.

Cdog
02-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Mig is the better choice. Practice for a couple of weeks on scrap then go at it. I’m pretty good a mig and just learning how to tig. Tig is much more complex.