PDA

View Full Version : Help with shocks on 3 inch drop leaf springs

gldouglas67
08-11-2013, 07:47 AM
have a 1967 Camaro and going to use the hotchkis 3 inch drop leaf springs and wondering if I can use my stock shocks or do I have to use shorter ones. Any help appreciated

RichUSAF
08-15-2013, 10:17 AM
I am planning to use the Hotchkis Stage 1 TVS with 3in drop on my 69 Firebird. I was planning to use the Hotchkis tuned shocks they sell. I would be interested in what others suggest though. Good luck on it. Its gonna look great!

Jon @ Hotchkis
08-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Hey Guys, you could re-use your existing shocks as you are not changing the physical mounting points for the shocks, you are only changing where the car sits in the suspension travel.

Although I would highly suggest pairing the springs with an aftermarket shock, be it our Fox Tuned 1.5's (http://www.hotchkis.net/19671969-camaro-firebird-hotchkis-tuned-15-street-performance-series-aluminum-rear-shock.html) or a Bilstein or Koni... A great advantage to our Fox Tuned 1.5 shock is that it is custom valved to fit each application; so it is meant to go on your Camaro with our springs, which eliminates the need for adjusting, or guessing at what shocks to get.

Let me know if you've got any questions on our shocks, or shocks in general.

Thanks!

green 69
08-16-2013, 06:23 AM
I will be using the Hotchkis Stage 2 TVS System 3" drop with the new Fox tuned shocks on my Camaro redo. They look like quality pieces. Can't wait to get everything on.

bret
08-16-2013, 10:40 AM
have a 1967 Camaro and going to use the hotchkis 3 inch drop leaf springs and wondering if I can use my stock shocks or do I have to use shorter ones. Any help appreciated

This is a simple one...

1. remove your rear shocks
2. with your car at ride height [not jacked up with the rearend hanging] measure between the shock mounts.
3. take another measurement between the axle tube and the bumpstop to see how much compression stroke you need to avoid bottoming out the shock at full compression.
4. compare your dimensions to the dimensions and mounting styles on this chart: http://www.ridetech.com/store/shocks/
Note that there are a variety of lengths, mounting styles, AND a choice of fixed valve or rebound adjustable.

Depending on exactly how the car was lowered it is likely the the oem shock dimensions might be too long. Simply measuring your existing shocks may not work either...you may have an incorrect shock on there now. Using this method will ensure you you have the appropriate length shock.

Have fun!