PDA

View Full Version : G-Body IRS options

2wolf_Michael
08-10-2013, 07:13 PM
I am thinking about replacing the solid rear axle with an IRS set-up for my 88 Monte SS. I am looking at a few center section options. My big concern or issue is figuring out is the uprights to use.

I am figuring either C5 or C6 options isa start, but have also seen custom options on other websites.

My question is for both track and street use what would be a good starting point on a design.

If it helps, I am planning on upgrading the front suspension to C6 based set-up.

I am working on a few drawings for ideas, will post them as soon as I can.

2wolf_Michael
08-10-2013, 10:04 PM
I have a few drawings for a Speedway Eng Stock Car QC center section set up for IRS use. The brackets or replaceable, as I only added them in my drawing to give an idea for mounting.80636806378063880639

I have a line on a used center section and a rebuild kit. I would only have to pick up the proper side bells and stub axles. I also still have the factory rear axle and a 9" sitting in my shop, which I could modify to use also.

I figure the QC rear end would work best for a custom build up and would allow for quick gear changes if needed.

Looking for opinions or idea????

silvermonte
08-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Im not going to be able to help you with any answers, but im along for the ride to see how you do this. I cant think any g-body that has done this yet.

2wolf_Michael
08-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks Miles.

I with myself having a Aerocoupe model, I am hoping this will give me a little extra space because of the extended package tray. This should help hide things better, without having as many issues with the body. not sure if it will work out that way though.

If I can do this right an IRS set-up should not take up much more room that the stock set-up.

I will be adding to the drawing shortly.

silvermonte
08-11-2013, 06:58 PM
I would think that once you figure out what center section you want to use and then get it mocked up in the place the rest of the puzzle pieces should fall into place pretty easy. With seeing people put 3 and 4 links in without much floor mods i cant really see where this would be much different, maybe at the front of the rear wheel wells where the links would hook to the frame, thats about all i can think of that would require some cutting.

2wolf_Michael
08-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Yes, the Qc center section is only 17" wide from CV flange to flange, but is 24" deep from u-joint flange to the back of the stock style rear cover. So this takes up extra space and it is not really centered in length 10.5" from axle centerline to u-joint flange face.

I am doing my drawings based on running 335/30R-18 BFG rivals as those are the dimensions I have, at a near factory track width.

I hope to have a basic drawing up posted up tomorrow night for a starting point, only issue is I do not have a C6 spindle to use for dimensions right now, which may change some things later.

Schwartz Performance
08-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Are you using the stock frame or building one? We offer a chassis for these cars, we could leave the rear end out so you can fab in an IRS. As you know, the stock frame is very weak and heavy in the wrong areas.

The QC IRS looks pretty sweet though, interested to see it all executed! :)

-Dale

Rwolf15241
08-15-2013, 04:32 PM
you could use a ford 9 inch!! or a Mark VII 8.8 center

Marcus SC&C
10-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Picking which center section and spindles to use is the least of your worries. Throwing some parts together street rod style (looks cool don`t it?) isn`t super hard but making it perform really well IS. At what height do you want your roll center? Why? How much lateral roll center migration is acceptable? Why? How much camber gain do you want? Why? How much will toe in increase under heavy acceleration? Why? What`s the ideal anti squat for an IRS in a G body? Why? Does a C6 share the same geometry requirements as a G Body? Why not? Etc. etc. Once you`ve answered all of those questions and measure the frame (or design a new one) then you can start looking at the right parts to fit the bill. I`ve done a few scratch built suspensions with IRS like this one http://scarab-motorsports.com/model.php which have had quite a few class wins and a few conversions, it`s nowhere near as easy as it looks to do it well. They`re cool looking but in my experience the view is seldom worth the climb.