PDA

View Full Version : DS&E 4 Link - what is the total cost?

madmax
08-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey everyone,

Just like with everyone else, my build is continuing to evolve. I already have the DS&E minitub kit... but the new 4 link is making me drool. First I was looking at 500hp at the flywheel and now it is 700hp... so I could handle the power with a properly set up leaf spring setup. But... the 4 link is so trick.

Some of you probably already know me.. but here's the deal. Car isin't going to be autoXed, but drag raced once in a while. Mostly street (90-95%).

Forgive me for posting about the new kit... I did a search and couldn't find the post I was looking for.

Basically it boils down to... how much are springs and shocks going to be? I dont know if I can swallow $350x2. Basically I've come up with the following:

$1360 for the 4-link (from Marquez)
$400 for the tubs
$700 for the coil-over shocks/springs

=$2460 vs. $1500 for the leaf spring setup.

Are there any other choices for shocks and springs out there that would help me swallow the price? Not including the tubs or at least having a reduced price for them is a killer.

Thanks for all the imput.

--Max

derekf
08-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Never mind, I suck at the math.

SatisTraction
08-27-2005, 03:56 PM
well to recoupe some $$$ you could sell off the parts not used from the DSE mini tub kit. That should get you about $400 or so. have you installed the mini tub kit? if not then just add 3" to you stock tubs and sell off the total mini tub kit.

ufo69chevelle
08-28-2005, 07:16 AM
i just picked up the QA1 proma star coil over kit from summit racing for 500bux, it is the complete package. they also carry another setup, the aluma-matic, for 435 i believe.

madmax
08-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks ufo, that sounds good to me. Even if it is $200, it makes it easier for me to swallow. What are the shocks that offered with the 4-link and how do they compare to the proma stars?

Thanks,
Max

zbugger
08-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Max, look at the Detroit Speed site. From the main page of the site, it says the complete 4-link with the links, springs, and shocks are listed at $2165. The complete minitub kit with leaf springs is $1299 according to the site. I'm no sure what else you'd have to get for it though. I'd just recommend giving Detroit Speed a call. They are great with customer service.

Nine Ball
08-28-2005, 03:05 PM
mini-tubs aren't mandatory with that 4-link kit, are they? You couldn't combine both kits anyways, since the complete mini-tub kit comes with parts to relocate the leaf springs etc...which aren't used on the 4-link anyways. Probably just need the tubs themselves and the 4-link.

camcojb
08-28-2005, 03:47 PM
mini-tubs aren't mandatory with that 4-link kit, are they? You couldn't combine both kits anyways, since the complete mini-tub kit comes with parts to relocate the leaf springs etc...which aren't used on the 4-link anyways. Probably just need the tubs themselves and the 4-link.

Exactly. 4 link kit, tubs, and shocks/springs. And the 4 link fits without tubbing.

Jody

madmax
08-28-2005, 06:19 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear... I understand that the tubs aren't mandatory, but I would like to fit some 335s back there... especially with some 18x12s on the way :yeah:. So I would need the tubs, and need to get rid of everything else. I was just trying to compare apples to oranges here... as in the leaf setup vs. the 4-link setup, and try to figure out what makes DS&Es springs $200 more than some Proma Stars. DS&E should offer a '4-link mini-tub kit' IMO. $400 for the tubs is a little hard to swallow, especially when I am spending that much on the 4-link.

Sorry for the confusion. But, does anyone know what DS&E is using for their coil-overs, and how they differ from the QA1s?

Thanks everyone,
--Max

madmax
08-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah,

The $1500 figure also included $200 worth of Koni shocks that aren't included in the mini-tub kit. I guess I wasnt in a right mind when I posted the first time :rolleyes5.

--Max

camcojb
08-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear... I understand that the tubs aren't mandatory, but I would like to fit some 335s back there... especially with some 18x12s on the way :yeah:. So I would need the tubs, and need to get rid of everything else. I was just trying to compare apples to oranges here... as in the leaf setup vs. the 4-link setup, and try to figure out what makes DS&Es springs $200 more than some Proma Stars. DS&E should offer a '4-link mini-tub kit' IMO. $400 for the tubs is a little hard to swallow, especially when I am spending that much on the 4-link.

Sorry for the confusion. But, does anyone know what DS&E is using for their coil-overs, and how they differ from the QA1s?

Thanks everyone,
--Max

They're looking to get a less expensive coil over than their current Koni's.

Jody

Sparky67
08-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah,

The $1500 figure also included $200 worth of Koni shocks that aren't included in the mini-tub kit. I guess I wasnt in a right mind when I posted the first time :rolleyes5.

--Max

Well, you are confusing me. The $1500 figure just includes the brackets. The extra $665 includes the Koni shocks and springs. The koni shocks are aluminum body shocks. When I talked to Stacy Tucker at Columbus Good Guys show, she mentioned that DSE is going to make a steel bodied shock available for this kit. I am not sure on that cost or when it will be available. I placed my order for their 4 link at that show, and I also had their mini tub kit with the leaf springs. Kyle told me that I could exchange my parts minus the tubs, for a refund. I don't think anyone on this forum has received their kit yet. My kit is being modified to work with my Currie Extreme duty housing. I am supposed to get my crossmember and a few other parts this week. If you are comparing shocks and springs, then I suggest you talk to Kyle Tucker at DSE.

Now, if you are going to have 500 to 700 hp, then you must use either DSE's new 4 link or go with their leaf springs with CalTrac bars. CalTrac bars require an aluminum bushing in the front leaf spring eye to work correctly. Also CalTrac bars were never designed to work with a mult-leaf, but with a mono-leaf springs. I talked to Kyle in the past about Stuart Adams (Jodie Bernard former car) 69 Camaro. Kyle told me that Stuart Adams does have CalTrac's with the aluminum front bushing. I really wonder on how it rides? I know what my friend's mid 8 second 69 Camaro rides like on the street, but it is used for drag racing now.

madmax
08-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Well, you are confusing me. The $1500 figure just includes the brackets. The extra $665 includes the Koni shocks and springs. The koni shocks are aluminum body shocks. When I talked to Stacy Tucker at Columbus Good Guys show, she mentioned that DSE is going to make a steel bodied shock available for this kit. I am not sure on that cost or when it will be available. I placed my order for their 4 link at that show, and I also had their mini tub kit with the leaf springs. Kyle told me that I could exchange my parts minus the tubs, for a refund. I don't think anyone on this forum has received their kit yet. My kit is being modified to work with my Currie Extreme duty housing. I am supposed to get my crossmember and a few other parts this week. If you are comparing shocks and springs, then I suggest you talk to Kyle Tucker at DSE.

Now, if you are going to have 500 to 700 hp, then you must use either DSE's new 4 link or go with their leaf springs with CalTrac bars. CalTrac bars require an aluminum bushing in the front leaf spring eye to work correctly. Also CalTrac bars were never designed to work with a mult-leaf, but with a mono-leaf springs. I talked to Kyle in the past about Stuart Adams (Jodie Bernard former car) 69 Camaro. Kyle told me that Stuart Adams does have CalTrac's with the aluminum front bushing. I really wonder on how it rides? I know what my friend's mid 8 second 69 Camaro rides like on the street, but it is used for drag racing now.

The $1500 number was for the minitub kit and matching Koni shocks ($1299 for the kit, $205 or something for the shocks) that I meantioned in my first post - not for the $1495 for the 4-link kit. Sorry for the confusion there.

The whole premise of this thread was to try to understand if their is a cheaper alternative to the $665 coil-overs from DS&E. If not, then so be it. Also, if the coil-overs are better than a $450 pair of Proma Stars then I would want to know it - $315 might be a suspension budget buster right now... but if they are vastly superior, or wouldn't wortk, then I might just shell the cash out.

I'll refer to the coil-overs as coil-overs and not shocks... that might have been what confused some people :).

Sorry for confusing the hell of of everyone.

--Max

Sparky67
08-29-2005, 05:04 PM
The $1500 number was for the minitub kit and matching Koni shocks ($1299 for the kit, $205 or something for the shocks) that I meantioned in my first post - not for the $1495 for the 4-link kit. Sorry for the confusion there.

The whole premise of this thread was to try to understand if their is a cheaper alternative to the $665 coil-overs from DS&E. If not, then so be it. Also, if the coil-overs are better than a $450 pair of Proma Stars then I would want to know it - $315 might be a suspension budget buster right now... but if they are vastly superior, or wouldn't wortk, then I might just shell the cash out.

I'll refer to the coil-overs as coil-overs and not shocks... that might have been what confused some people :).

Sorry for confusing the hell of of everyone.

--Max

Ok, I think I got it. You might want to contact Kyle at DSE, about the price difference. Although, my guess is that DSE has specially valved them for their design. Just like their coil over kit for the front. I rather pay an extra $315 for a coil over shocks, than cut corners and buy a cheaper coil-over shock. The main reason is that I want it to perform as it was designed. Although, you might want to wait because Stacy Tucker told me that DSE was also going to offer a steel body coil over shock.

yody
08-29-2005, 06:06 PM
the cal trac bars aren't mandatory for a given horsepower number, and can take away from the systems over all handling capabilities, even with them "loose". They do work very well for straight-line traction, however with street tires you are only going to get so much traction. I have going by my butt-dyno over 600hp and just have a regular old set of leafs, I don't get any wheel hop and the suspension works great. The DSE 4 link seems like a very good compromise between all out hanlding, straight line traction, and ease of installation. A 3-link would probably be a little better(not that I really know, just that i have read this) but is probably more of a compromise for ride and installation. Also I think Marquez designs gives more of a discount on the DSE stuff then DSE themselves.

aany001
08-29-2005, 06:46 PM
can anyone tell me where I can find Marquez designs web page address? In this forum you guys mentioned that he sells DSE stuff cheaper than DSE themselves.Is this true??? any info would be great!!!
thanks.

camcojb
08-29-2005, 06:58 PM
can anyone tell me where I can find Marquez designs web page address? In this forum you guys mentioned that he sells DSE stuff cheaper than DSE themselves.Is this true??? any info would be great!!!
thanks.

We discount their stuff as much as possible. DSE makes very nice stuff and we like to sell it! Here is a link and you'll also see our sign at the upper right hand of this page in the row of vendors.

Marquez Design (http://www.marquezdesign.com)

Jody