PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating Parts-Hinges etc.?

Andrew McBride
08-27-2005, 10:19 AM
I am fixing to take my subframe to be powdercoated along with LCA and spindles, and calipers. What other parts should I consider? Are hood hinges, latches and springs alright to have coated? Any other parts to consider? I am going to go back and do my rearend and subframe connectors later. Any advice would be great.

parsonsj
08-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Hinges, latches, springs are fine for powder coating, but the assemblies will need be complete disassembled (drill out rivets between moving parts of the hinge, etc.).

Just remember that powder coating is thick. The guy doing my rear end housing told me that his process adds .014 of material to the metal. Of course he talked me into the super-duper double whammy zinc underlayment method.

jp

MuscleRodz
08-27-2005, 01:36 PM
For the '69 Blazer I am woeking on, I just had everything that was originally black, powdercoated. Chassis, leafsprings, spindles, rear end, all of it. JP is right, disassemble everything that is an assembly to make sure you get complete coverage. Hinges I will probably black plate so I don't have to disassemble but will need to be baked to avoid hydrogen embrittlement in the spring.

Mike

Andrew McBride
08-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks Mike and John for the advice.

John, I was just checking out your site, man what an inspiration to me that car has been. I want to build a car exactly like what you have done with my next project-67RS camaro. Although my fabrication skills will have to improve! great work on IImuch.

Sparky67
08-27-2005, 04:55 PM
I am fixing to take my subframe to be powdercoated along with LCA and spindles, and calipers. What other parts should I consider? Are hood hinges, latches and springs alright to have coated? Any other parts to consider? I am going to go back and do my rearend and subframe connectors later. Any advice would be great.

Another option that you might want to consider is ceramic coating. Powder coating has it's disadvantages because of chipping still occurs. Typically, sub frames and rearends are good to have powder coated, but if it is a suspension part then it will get chipped or scratched. The advantages of ceramic coating are resistant staining from oil, gasoline, antifreeze, and brake fluid. It is also chip and scratch resistant. The disadvantage is ceramic coating is limited in colors. Have this company www.hpcoatings.com (High Performance Coatings) send you a sample and so that you compare between the advantages of powder coating and ceramic coating.

parsonsj
08-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Andrew,
You're very kind. I'm dying to get the car completed (it is so close), but I'm up here in NYC for the next few days.

jp