PDA

View Full Version : New trucks.

Ziegelsteinfaust
08-03-2013, 01:22 PM
My wife is kind of pushing me to get a new truck in the next few months instead of letting me use the credit cart to finish up the project F100 off.

My project truck is getting closer to completion from a work stand point as days go by, and from a financial point less then $2000 dollars. To fix it up better for DD another $1000, but not necessary at first. Just more comfort, and it can be done as the weeks go by. It should sit at 20 mpg hwy when it hits the road with some room for improvement with an OD.

If she "makes" me get a new truck due to her being difficult which one would you get? I am looking at the new V6 versions of a RCSB because I don't want to pay that much, and if geared up they all should run hot enough for DD. Also I will do at least a 5-7 drop on the truck, add bigger sway bars, and performance shocks if not multiple shocks.

The Dodge Ram? 8 speed auto with a 300hp 6 gun. It has a 4 link rear, and available drop spindles for stock 17's. So with minor trimming, and a welder I can get my desired drop.

F150. 6 speed auto, and the proven by comparison 300hp 6 gun. Most difficult to lower, but from what I have seen a 3" z may not be too difficult. I do not want to run 20's just to use drop spindles.

GMC Sierra. 6 speed auto, and brand new 4.3 DI motor. Given GM's aftermarket history a big drop is practically an afternoon away bolting on parts.

Which one would likely have the most potential for handling? I can find lots of specs for the trucks, but none feature handling.

48prerunner
08-12-2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_1310_2013_ram_1500_slt_quad_cab_vs_ford_f_150_ xlt_supercab_comparison/

On mountain roads, the Ford performed admirably. Its steering was pleasantly quick, and the truck's handling felt modern and taut. That combination made driving on twisty roads entertaining.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/163_1306_truck_trend_2013_best_in_class/factory_power_runner.html

I'd say best to go out and test drive them.

astroracer
08-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Actually the "boss" should go out and test drive them then tell you which one to get...:dunno:

Ziegelsteinfaust
08-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Actually the "boss" should go out and test drive them then tell you which one to get...:dunno:

She doesn't likely care what I buy as long as it fits budget or some other diagram or flow chart she has in her mind.

When I got my 74 C20 she got mad I didn't get the CC dually because of lack of space. I would of loved to bought the dually, but time to turn it into a srw she would of thrown a fit. Plus I would have to bob the bed into a 5 foot bed so I could turn around or park easily.

cactuss4
08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
I really like the new Ford Ecoboost engines, turbo charged,good torque, towing, and can tweak if needed. Good MPG for what it can do

Ziegelsteinfaust
08-13-2013, 07:39 PM
I really like the new Ford Ecoboost engines, turbo charged,good torque, towing, and can tweak if needed. Good MPG for what it can do

I would cut the left one off for a Eco-boost rclb which would turn into a rcsb, but they are likely to be a order only item. Autotrader last time I checked didn't have one with in 100 miles of me.

Also I am a regular cab guy. Not so much of a crew cab type, and with the miles I will likely end up driving. I would not want to waste the truck that way.

justin51986
08-14-2013, 08:54 AM
you could go all out like i did :) 2013 f250 power stroke. picked her up a few weeks ago

Ron Sutton
08-14-2013, 09:19 AM

:rotfl: :hah: :rotfl: :hah:

Oh man ... it's only funny ... because it's true for a lot of us.

Ziegelsteinfaust
08-14-2013, 11:25 AM
you could go all out like i did :) 2013 f250 power stroke. picked her up a few weeks ago

Way out of the budget, and cornering would not likely be in its future. I am looking for a cheap truck that handles pretty well.

justin51986
08-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Way out of the budget, and cornering would not likely be in its future. I am looking for a cheap truck that handles pretty well.

it corners great with a ton and a half on a trailer behind it!! :bananna2:

Ziegelsteinfaust
08-14-2013, 12:37 PM
I bet you could cut the apex down with 4wd too.