PDA

View Full Version : cleaning ls1 motor prior to install

Mark Smith
08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
my motor and trans have been sitting around for a little while and i want to really make it look good before i put it in the car.motor is a complete take out with all stock accessories.some of the aluminum is starting to look grungy.what is the best way to clean it up.do not intend on buying all new bracketry etc.motor only has 17k miles.saw and heard it run in car prior to purchase.maybe once new headers and a nice intake tube are installed will make it look better?

Rybar
08-26-2005, 01:59 PM
my motor and trans have been sitting around for a little while and i want to really make it look good before i put it in the car.motor is a complete take out with all stock accessories.some of the aluminum is starting to look grungy.what is the best way to clean it up.do not intend on buying all new bracketry etc.motor only has 17k miles.saw and heard it run in car prior to purchase.maybe once new headers and a nice intake tube are installed will make it look better?

I took as many parts off as possible, and cleaned/scrubbed them for hours. Simple Green and that Castrol cleaner worked good with brushes, wire brushes and rags. Then get some aluminum cleaner & polish and try to polish as best you can. Mine looks pretty respectable now, but it doesn't look brand new. You got alot of hours ahead of you. Good luck.

Nine Ball
08-26-2005, 02:32 PM
I've used some of that harsh wheel cleaner, made for non-coated cast aluminum mags. Sprayed that stuff all over the cast surfaces, let it sit, and then rinsed it off. It actually cleaned the cast surfaces pretty well. I used my power washer for the tougher areas to clean.