PDA

View Full Version : Setting toe at home...

pitts64
07-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Should I push my car forward onto greased sheet metal to let the front end relax before setting toe with my tramline? Or is it better to push the car forward and leave the suspension loaded?

My car seems to roll easier toed out, however I set it without anybody in the drivers seat...

Thank you,
Jeff

Rod
07-29-2013, 02:30 PM
you're on the right track!! if you have the time and availability put it on the grease sheet metal, take pics Jeff we would all like to see

pitts64
07-30-2013, 04:15 AM
Looking at old posts there are a few guys who prefer toe out...

Ron Sutton
07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Yes, you want the suspension "relaxed" so roll it onto the greased sheetmetal.

If the car has zero bump steer ... you can check it with no driver. If the bump steer changes, it will be more accurate with driver weight in it.

For AutoX or track performance, the car will respond quicker & turn better with a small amount of toe out.

For tight tracks & AutoX, I have found ending up with 3/16" total toe-out "in dive" (when the suspension is compressed) works optimum. We set our cars with 1/8" static toe out, then add the other 1/16" of toe out through bump steer and/or Ackerman.

On road courses, with higher corner entry speeds, we use the same 3/16" total toe-out "in dive" ... but start with 1/16" toe-out then add the other 1/8" of toe out through bump steer and/or Ackerman.

Best wishes.

pitts64
07-30-2013, 01:56 PM
I was moving shims today... I set it so it has more snap back to center..