PDA

View Full Version : 4 door autocross cars

WidowMaker68
07-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Is there any special rules\techniques regarding turning a four door into an autocross car. Rollbars, shaving weight, weight distribution? Anybody have a similar project w info?

SRD art
07-17-2013, 04:03 PM
My drag based 73 4 door Nova was 2950 lbs after adding fiberglass front bumper, hood, fenders, and trunk lid. Took out the back seat and rear door panels too. Everything else needed for daily driving was there. Ran 11's as a daily driver back in the early '90s. Lots of people wondered why I built a 4 door but none of them could claim the wicked sleeper trophy like I did.

In theory I think a 4 door may just distribute weight better, but there's no evidence I know of to that. Depending on the car, most 4 doors are basically the same as a 2 door, it's basically such that the B pillar has been shifted forward and the front doors are shorter. I did notice my 73 Nova had about a 3" taller roof line. 2-door windshield trim didn't fit, it was too short going down the A pillar.

I think a 4 door would make a great pro-touring project. They're typically cheaper, as I said they're pretty much the same platform, and you get all the sleeper points you could want. You won't get many appearance and cool factor points from most guys out there but if you build it right there's nothing more satisfying than beating a high dollar cookie cutter with a low buck throwaway car. I guess that's why I built a 4 door street/ strip car and a 4-door pro touring station wagon ;)

Have you seen this? 4 door Nova idea (https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?98886-Non-Cookkie-Cutter-Alternative-Nova-project&highlight=4+door+Nova)

There are a couple active wagon owners on the forum besides me and I remember watching a bunch of drifting and autocross videos on you tube of a 4 door g-body Malibu. I say do it!

WidowMaker68
07-17-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm doing it. Slowly but surely. It's a 68 Tempest w the original #s matching 350 bored .030 new cam. Edelbrock performer intake and carb combo. Probably not the ideal motor but had to keep the original for now. How much for a rendering

AutoX_a_Truck?
07-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Hotchkis has a really cool '70 Satellite that is a more door autocross "taxi"

JEFFTATE
07-23-2013, 07:09 AM
4 door cars can be autocross cars too .
The big difference is that a lot of 4 door cars are big sedans . ( Heavy ).

SRD art
08-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Some day when I'm rich and famous I'm gonna build a 4 door 69 Camaro, just for the fun of it. ;)

silvermonte
08-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Some day when I'm rich and famous I'm gonna build a 4 door 69 Camaro, just for the fun of it. ;)

Prolly wouldnt be to hard, just graft a camaro nose onto a nova and you would be set.