PDA

View Full Version : recovering from bad paint prep?

cactuss4
07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Question

Whether I would attempt this on my (highly doubtful), or bring it to a shop. If a car that should be in very good shape, but shows paint cracking and pealing. The car had new quarters, new 1 piece floor pan, firewall work done etc. The sheet metal underneath should be in great condition, but appears the paint prep was less than ideal. There may be some stress form a large engine without subframe connectors (but what that damage could be I'm not sure).

If we trust the fact that the metal work was done right, but the paint process was less than ideal, what would it take to recover (time, money etc?).

Would I in fact have to disassemble the car and get it dipped , or could I have someone blast it with it assembled, could I just strip the paint..

Just really trying to get an idea at 100ft, what type of work is required to fix a bad paint prep job, (if that's all it is?)..

Now if the sealing and stuff was poorly done, or the metal work was less than stellar, I guess that brings up a really nasty scenario..

2 Examples, Drip Rail and the other I'm almost positive but can't be 100% that it's the panel between the trunk and window?? Window surrounds are perfect, lower bodypanels look great, but these paint issues, seems like bad seems or just really bad prep work?

Looking for as honest opinion as you can give based on 2 pictures and me yappin.

Thanks

BuzzKillian
07-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Looks like rust under Bondo to me... You'll have to find out what 's under the paint, before you can make a decision how to proceed with the repair.

HotRod47
07-18-2013, 03:25 PM
I agree with the above statement. Looks like rust. Could be many things and there is no way of knowing until the effected areas have the paint removed to diagnose.

72Z/28
07-19-2013, 02:49 AM
I had the same issue as your with the panel between the trunk and the window. I had to scrape off the paint to find out, and it turned out that there was bad surface rust under the body filling causing this type of bubble on the paint.

I decided to weld that area to fill the seams on this panel when i repainted my car. In the end, if the body prep was professionally done by taking care of all the rust you will not run into this situation.

astroracer
07-19-2013, 08:03 AM
How old is the bodywork? Replacing a panel, doing perfect bodywork and laying down an amazing 1' paint job is all well and good BUT... If the backside of the job was not protected, all is moot, as rust will start very quickly on a welded panel if you don't protect it on the back side... Especially in seams that will collect water and condensation.
Like stated above, you have to remove the paint to see what you have...
Mark

cactuss4
07-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks all

Ya there was some discussion why would someone skimp after replacing the full floor panel, firewall etc. But it seems like there was some skimping and or other to finish this car. Was done back in 2008. the underside is very clean, and I assume the panels are good, but who knows. One has to take the paint down to see. And it may be as simple as bringing the car down to metal and cleaning, welding up the various seems, but who knows.

This was a car I was interested in buying, but what the inspector saw is a bit scary, well there are unknowns which affect the value , price of the car. If there is extensive work, that could cost $10K to fix and repaint.

More:

But the underside of the car looks very clean, the body panels and the lower edges are very nice:

astroracer
07-19-2013, 11:33 AM
The visible stuff is easily cleaned up during a frame off. The seams are the issues. Especially if the body was dipped and then not neutralized or washed out well enough. The "acid" used in dipping will continue to work when buried in a seam somewhere. Even if there is no acid involved rust lives every where when bare steel is available. Seams like you are picturing, roof, tail panel, etc. are impossible to clean out completely during normal body work and even sand blasting. What you can't see, you can't clean... That is where the cars problems are coming from. I doubt very much it is paint "prep" causing the issue. It has been 5 years which is plenty of time for a thin spot to rust through from underneath...
Mark

todd8525
07-28-2013, 09:09 PM
the rust arount the roof trim is caused by smacking back on too hard and scored the fresh paint.the whiskey bumps on the fender are probably results of a pant button,or zipper or belt buckel or? but did notice the extra 1/8" hole for the spoiler. hear are the hood edge of my prostreet car with 24270 orig km and has been in dry storage for 10 years.a paint scratch and moisture add up.The car you want to buy looks clean.and somone took the time to bend over to paint along the bottom rockers.im thinking poor assembly.i myself dont feel a complete stripe and redo are not nessasary but a new paint job yes.hope ya get a good deal and enjoy your new toy if you deside to purchace.