PDA

View Full Version : TH400 Not Working

zzfranczz
07-16-2013, 03:50 PM
I have a BB 67 Camaro. It has been sitting for about 15 years or so. I am starting to make progress on getting it back to running and then into a PT project. Little by little it is going. Last weekend I got the engine and all of the issues with that running. SOunds great :) The next problem is the tranny will not engage. It has very few miles on it, always had sufficient fluid in it. The tranny has fewer than a thousand miles on it or so. I drained and replaced he fluid and it looks new. No metal shavings nor dirt. I started to think about it and thought maybe the tranny is ok I just need to fix something.

It has sat for a long time and nothing cataclysmic has happened how or what should I do to diagnose the problem?
Could it be the pump is not engaging?
Or is it more likely that the seals are shot and it is just time to pull it?
Is there something that I should check or adjust?

I am hoping there is something I can do to tell if it is a fatal issue or if there is something that can be done on the car to salvage it. In the past I knew when I blew it up. I have blown a few up and good, but this one went silently so I am at a loss.

Thanks,
Frank

sam 74
07-17-2013, 01:04 PM
so when the car is running you can't get into any gear, if so did you check the linkage inside the pan area to make sure it was all connected? you can check any cooler lines to see if you have line pressure and that should tell you if the pump is engaged or not. other than that i'd have to tear it apart and look at it to see if there was anything wrong.

zzfranczz
07-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Hey Sam thank you for the help I appreciate the two quick checks. I am shooting for something simple to see if I can get the car on the road to enjoy it for a bit before I start to tear it down. If it is just the cable that would be hilarious. Then that would be too good to be true. Again, thanks.