PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Split bumper big block 4 spd

Foudie
07-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Trying to decide what to do with this car...

1. sell it as is....$7500-8500?

2. get it mechanically running, new ac, tires etc....$10-11k?

3. new paint (color change) new black interior, wheels, tires etc $17-18k?

Are my price expectations in line, or am I off my rocker?

Any input is appreciated!

cactuss4
07-15-2013, 08:11 PM
No comments , other than to point at the side pipes, crazy! :)

Foudie
07-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Ha! Yeah the car hasn't been driven since the late 80's. I guess someone thought they were cool back then. IMO side pipes only belong on restored Vette's and AC Cobra's

Nitroexpress
07-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Car is a good candidate for a restoration. For the most part it looks to be rust free & that is a huge plus. Make sure the under side is solid IE: frame rails etc. Most of the interior will need replacing or refurbishing but it's all available. I didn't get a good look at the gas pedal, is it mounted to the floor ? As that is a clue as to it being a real Z plus a Z would not of had a big block in it. If this car was originally a 70 -RS Z then it's worth restoring to what it once was. If it is an RS base coupe then build it to your liking, perhaps a nice resto-mod Pro touring type car. If the car has sat in this condition for as long as you said then most all of the mechanical components will need to be updated. IE: fuel tank, lines, brake system & lines, re do that big block or go another route, all of the suspension components will also need attention, the AC system ....& it goes on & on & on..... If you do decide to sell it and someone offers you your asking price then I say take it. The car is more like a $5000.00 car in my opinion ( just mine no offense intended) You have the fact that it is an Arizona car on your side but other then that it is in rough shape. A good start for someone but it needs a complete restoration & that takes a lot of $$$$$.
Good luck with what ever you decide

Foudie
07-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the reply Nitroexpress. It was originally a small block 4 spd car. Previous owner pulled the 396 out of a '69 Chevelle or Camaro. We're not planning on keeping the car long term, just looking to make a nice driver and sell it after a couple months of "testing" and hope to make a few bucks. I will have to look into that pedal and see if it is mounted to the floor. If it is, I will let you know and perhaps you could help me figure out what we've got here.

Todd in Vancouver
07-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Wow what a nice project. I've always had a soft spot for these cars

Nitroexpress
07-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Are you planning on doing all that body work first? Just remember that just making it a safe driver to flip it in the end will take some $$$$ Most all of the mechanicals will need refurbishing. The amount of money I see that it will take to make this car even remotely drivable will in the end be more then you will be able to ask or get for the car. (Unless you intend to do a full resto) If you own this car already & you intend to flip it one day then I say sell it for the best price you can get now, as you probably won't make any money on your investment, you might break even if your lucky!!!!! If you don't own it and are looking to buy it get it for as cheap as you can & no more then $5000.00 for a base coupe RS & even that is a little high. "Unless it was an original Z car then it's a different story - But it's still missing the original motor, trans & who knows about the rear end??? See were I'm going with this.
There is another site on the internet that specializes in these types of cars. You may know about it or not? I won't mention it here but PM me & I'll tell you the site name. The site I speak of is the # 1 source for all things ( 2nd gen) Camaro & Z/28 ....!!! If you weren't so far away I would be talking you into selling it to me "LOL" I'm looking for a father/son project but that car would be a huge project & almost to much for us to handle at this time. I've been there done that already on my 73 & it took me 4+ years. If I took on such a project I fear it wouldn't be completed before my son goes away to collage in two years = :( & then he would be gone & the project wouldn't get done.

Foudie
07-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I've got a lot to think about. It sure would be nice to order the entire DSE catalog and throw it at this thing...which reminds me I need to pick up my lottery tickets before the weekend.